Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
miscarriage rates

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

miscarriage rates

I've been going to an RE for a few months now and completed an IUI with injectables.  The first time I miscarried and now, after the second try, I'm 8 1/2 weeks pregnant.  However, I've had two miscarriages in a row so I'm pretty nervous about having a 3rd (I also have 1 live birth...a 3 year old).  At the 8 week checkup they did an ultrasound and it showed a 8 1/2 week baby with a beating heart of 170!!!  My estrogen levels were great and progesterone was over 25.  I know these things sound good but I was wondering what the miscarriage rate is after seeing a heartbeat.  I know of two people who miscarried after seeing this so I'm still really concerned.  They are telling me to relax and just enjoy the process now but I'm still needing reassurnace.  What do you think?
They are right, enjoy the process. The text book answer for a miscarriage is 20% of all pregnancies, really it's about 35% when we consider known and unknown pregnancies. The majority of these being in the first trimester. The rate drops significantly with a heart beat and then achieving 10 weeks gestation. All kinds of numbers and miscarriage rates are running around out there after a heart beat is seen, I have seen from 5 to 10% quoted. It sounds like you are doing all the right things and things are going great.
Hope this helps, not sure there is an answer.
JM
Shayla - you asked EXACTLY the question I have - THANK YOU!!!  I am 10 weeks today.  I too have two friends who miscarried at about 9 weeks and I am absolutley terrified!!  I have been seeing the heartbeat since 6 weeks and at 8 weeks 3 days the baby was exactly on target with a HB of 171!!!  I do not have another u/s until 11w2d (June 20th) and am absolutely terrified that something has gone wrong inside and I don't even know it!!  It would be so wonderful if the statistics they quoted of 5-10% after the HB are accurate.  In fact, 5% would be the best!!!     Wishing you all the luck in the world!

Fran