Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
possible false positive?????

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

possible false positive?????

I had a cornual resection on 6-12-07 to remove a conrual ectopic pregnancy. My husband and I had sex about 2 weeks after, we used condoms. On June 26 my doctor started me on desogen. I took it until the 29th. It was making me feel like an emotional wreck so I stopped taking it. My period normally comes on the 3rd of every month. Even with my previous surgeries, my af always comes on time. It didn't come this morning, so I took a home preg test. It came up positive. Is it possible that I still have pregnancy hormones from my cornual ectopic? or that the bc pills gave me a false positive? I was suppose to wait until December to ttc again. I am very stressed out. I don't understand how I can be pregnant when we used condoms and were very careful! I Thank you in advance for your information.
Dear Stefanie-

With a positive pregnancy test at home, it is important that you follow up with your physician as soon as you can, and get a blood test to determine whether or not you are truly pregnant. As the cornual pregnancy was almost a month ago, it is unlikely that the postive home pregnancy test is due to that pregnancy. The most likely possibility is a false positive. However, the most serious concern, even though unlikely, is that there is still ectopic pregnancy tissue left behind. Thus, it is very important that you follow up on this finding as soon as possible. Finally, it is possible, although unlikely, that the positive pregnancy test reflects a brand new pregnancy.

There is no use driving ourselves crazy guessing - best to sort it out with a blood test first and go from there.