Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
progesterone injections

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

progesterone injections

I am currently 13wks3d pregnant with my first child via IVF.  The 13w3d is counting from my LMP, which is how my fertility clinic calculated how far along I am.  I was released by my fertility docs when I was 9wks, and was told to continue the progesterone injections and Vivelle hormone patches until I reached the end of the first trimester.  I was looking ahead in my pregnancy book last night and saw the first trimester wasn't over till the end of the 13th week.  I am freaking out because I stopped the injections and patches when I hit the beginning of week 12.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I feel so stupid and naive.  I have done so much to get this far and hope that I didn't mess things up.  This is so unlike me to be this careless.  This is a new territory for me and I feel like I should have questioned my docs when to actually stop the meds.

My questions are:  
1. When is the first trimester over?
2. Do you think I'm OK with stopping the shots and patches this early?
3. Should I call my doc?

Thanks for your help.

First trimester ends after 13 weeks, at the start of the 14th week.

You are fine having stopped the estrogen and progesterone when you did. In many programs these are stopped earlier. For example we routinely stop estrogen and 8 weeks and progesterone at 10 weeks, and some programs stop even sooner.

Try to enjoy being pregnant!
1 Comment
A related discussion, progesterone injections was started.