Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
sperm count

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

sperm count
I had my sperm count test 5 times as i had IUI 5 times .
every time my sperm count was above 80 million with above 80 percent motility (before washing of sperm ) which i think was very good.

I had my 6th IUI today and was shocked to know that my sperm count is just 30 to 35 million with 50 percent motility
also i had white blood cells 6 hpf in my semen.

what could be the reason behind my sperm count to get low and will my sperm count increase again or not?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that many things can affect the sperm count.  Sperm take approximately 3 months to manufacture.  You may have had an illness three months ago that affected you, or spent some time in a hot tub.  Another possibility is that there could have been lab error.  I would recommend repeating the level--in at least 3 days.  We never make a diagnosis based upon one sperm count because they tend to fluctuate so much.  So, yes, your counts will probably return to your normal baseline.
Don't smoke cigarettes or marijuana, take a multivitamin with vitamin C and zinc and stay out of hot tubs.
Also, for your benefit--if IUI hasn't worked after 6 tries, it is probably time to consider an alternative such as IVF.
Good luck!
Dr B
hello doctor,

i just had two more tests and my sperm count was 50 million with 50 % motility  and then 65 million also with 50 % motility and still  have 4 hpf pus cells in semen.
so it definitely increased but my motility has yet not increased much.
what could be the reason

also my doctor told me to do a test of FSH and TESTESTRONE
my FSH is 4.9

but TESTOSTRONE is just 103 and doctor told me its low
how can i increase it nd does low testosterone result in low sperm count.

my weight has increased by 20 kilos can it be the reason behind low testosterone?