Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
tubal clamps
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

tubal clamps

I would like to know what the difference is between a tubal ligation and tubal clamps? I had clamps put on almost 10 years ago and am looking to get them removed as my husband and I are wanting to have our first child together. Is it the same price as a tubal ligation?
Related Discussions
270419_tn?1201245176
Dear M_Poe-

A tubal ligation is an operation where the fallopian tubes are disrupted to prevent pregancny. This can be done by burning the tubes, by removing a segment of the tube, or by placing a ring or clip on the tube. By "clamp" I am sure you mean either a ring or a clip. When tubes have been ligated, the choices for having babies are two; 1) microsurgery to put the fallopian tubes back together, which is called a tubal reanastomosis, 2) IVF.  In most states, both of these procedures are self pay and therefore are more expensive than a tubal ligation which is usually covered by insurance. Prices vary by prgram or state- for example our estimate is that at USF a tubal reanastomosis without a prolonged postop stay will be in the $7500 range, and and IVF cycle including fertility drugs will be in the $12,000-$14,000 range.
3 Comments
Blank
you can contact dr. levin, I had a tubal ligation wich it was the cut and burn of the fallopian tubes, and he put them back together, I got pregnant but that is one of the risk, I been pregnant three times but my body rejected two and the other preg. was in the tubes so the doc. had to end the pregnancy.
Blank
I'm sorry if you go to babies by levin, his full name is richard levin and his located in kentucky
Blank
A related discussion, Cant afford to have them removed was started.
Blank
538635_tn?1242404668
A related discussion, Tuibal ligation and cPregnancy was started.
Blank
A related discussion, tubel clamps was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now