FERTILITY / INFERTILITY
FORUM
tubal clamps
by M_Poe, Jan 24, 2008
I would like to know what the difference is between a tubal ligation and tubal clamps? I had clamps put on almost 10 years ago and am looking to get them removed as my husband and I are wanting to have our first child together. Is it the same price as a tubal ligation?
Answer:
by Shayne Plosker, MDBlank, Feb 17, 2008
Dear M_Poe-

A tubal ligation is an operation where the fallopian tubes are disrupted to prevent pregancny. This can be done by burning the tubes, by removing a segment of the tube, or by placing a ring or clip on the tube. By "clamp" I am sure you mean either a ring or a clip. When tubes have been ligated, the choices for having babies are two; 1) microsurgery to put the fallopian tubes back together, which is called a tubal reanastomosis, 2) IVF.  In most states, both of these procedures are self pay and therefore are more expensive than a tubal ligation which is usually covered by insurance. Prices vary by prgram or state- for example our estimate is that at USF a tubal reanastomosis without a prolonged postop stay will be in the $7500 range, and and IVF cycle including fertility drugs will be in the $12,000-$14,000 range.
Member Comments (3)
by babyemy, Jan 27, 2008
you can contact dr. levin, I had a tubal ligation wich it was the cut and burn of the fallopian tubes, and he put them back together, I got pregnant but that is one of the risk, I been pregnant three times but my body rejected two and the other preg. was in the tubes so the doc. had to end the pregnancy.
by babyemy, Jan 27, 2008
I'm sorry if you go to babies by levin, his full name is richard levin and his located in kentucky
by starrdiva25, May 28, 2008
A related discussion, Cant afford to have them removed was started.
by lyrics1970, Jun 28, 2008
A related discussion, Tuibal ligation and cPregnancy was started.
by theresa31, Nov 21, 2009
A related discussion, tubel clamps was started.