Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
wanting to conceive at 50

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

wanting to conceive at 50

I had a Mirena coil removed 7 weeks ago, put in for very heavy bleeding.  I started slight spotting immediately and then had a horrific period exactly 28 days after removal of coil.  As wanting to get pregnant I used ovulating tests and positive for surge on day 14.  Sadly not pregnant.  Have tested for LH surge this time from day 11 and now on day 18 with still no surge.  Can I still have ovulated?  Main problem is that I am 50 and desperate to have child with new husband.  During time coil fitted did my reserve of eggs continue to be used or have I saved some in the hope that I can still conceive. Have had day 3 blood test and going for day 21 but really confused and feeling pretty low at moment.  Any hope of me having a child?
Dear ljsw-

I will try to answer your questions.

First, if the urine testing did not detect a surge, it most likely means you have not ovulated. However, in about 5%-10% of cycles, the urine testing fails to detect ovulation yet ovulation has occurred. The way to answer the question is to get a blood test for progesterone on day 21-24 of your cycle. If progesterone is elevated, it means you ovulated. If it is not elevated, then the urine LH testing was accurrate. Alternatively, since at this point it is what it is, you could wait and see if you get a period. If you get a period on time, it probably signifies ovulation. If no period by day 35, get a pregancy test and a progesterone level.

Very good quesiton about your eggs; unfortunately neither an IUD, nor for that matter the birth control pill, results in egg savings. In fact, women continue to lose eggs even while they are pregnant and/or breast feeding. This is a process that starts at 20 weeks gestation in your mother's uterus (at that time you have approx 7 million eggs; by birth only 2 million; by the time you start having regular periods only 300,000-400,000).

Your chances of having a baby with your own eggs are virtually 0%, not impossible but about the same odds as winning a lottery ticket. On the other hand, if you try to get pregnant using the eggs of a younger donor, combined with your husband's sperm, and transferred into your uterus, your chances of getting pregnant are close to 50% every time you try. This is called IVF with egg donor. One attempt probably costs in the range of $30,000 including paying the donor.

Sorry I cannot provide some better news, but if the donor possibility is something that you might feel comfortable with, your chances going down that road are good.
You have probably heard about using the eggs of a younger woman?  The success rates for donor ivf are really high, although the process is very expensive.  I'm 45, almost 46, newly married, no childen, and did conceive naturally last April.  My Reproductive Endocrinologist was very surprised and monitoried my blood levels weekly.  We saw a heart beat at 6 weeks, which in a younger woman would have meant a 90% chance of the pregnancy succeeding.  At my age, however, the miscarriage rates are something like 60-70%, so conceiving is only part of the struggle; I miscarried at 9 and 1/2 weeks, which was devastating.  My understanding is that the donor egg process is only available to women through age 51 or so in the U.S., although women could continue to conceive with donor eggs after that if a doctor would do the process.  My husband and I are just starting to try again, but if it doesn't work after 6 months or if I have another miscarriage, we will seriously consider donor eggs.  We already have an adoption in process.  Anyway,  best wishes--you are not the only one trying to beat back the clock!
P.S.  Maybe you already know this, but if you use donor eggs they would use your husband's sperm, so the child would be biologically related to him.  They would select a donor who looks similar to you.
My understanding is that the donor egg process is only available to women through age 51 or so in the U.S.,

that is an untrue statement.. egg donors are available to any age if ttc and are unable to do so, I am under the age of 40 and am going to go thru IVF with donor eggs.
What I meant by my comment is that most RE's in the US will not do IVF with donor eggs on a woman who is over the age of 51 (both because of concern for the child's longterm welfare and because of the stress of pregnancy on a woman's body); of course, they will do the process on younger women.  I was trying to say to the 50 year old hopeful mother that if she is interested in the donor egg route, she should look into it right away, as most clinics have an upper age limit.  
I am 46 and just starting IVF with donor eggs. I have been married this time 1yr 5mths. Early in life a suffered an ectopic pregnancy which I lost my R tube and a miscarriage. Since married this time we have tried for 6mths natural then went to an RE. There we tried several mths of clomid with HCG and 1 IVF cycle with my eggs which failed. I don't mean to sound harsh but at our age the best chance at a family is adoption or donor egg. Believe me it took several people and drs. telling me this to finally understand. Check out this web site: st. louis infertility clinic. It has some wonderful info. We are so excited about this cycle. I wish you good luck:):) Debra

BG-MN,

Hi!!! Haven't written in a while. Starting things up again. Had consult for cycle on 8/6, got alll my appts. scheduled for ultrasounds and lab work. Been on BCP for 2wks now and just got all my meds today. If things go well target transfer day is 9/11.  Some date huh!! Hope all is well with you and your friend.
Stay in touch. Emotional rollercoaster here I come!!!!!  Debra
Hi Debra -- Last week I wrote you a note over at the 35+ board and when I didn't hear from you, I wondered if all was okay.  I can't remember exactly what I wrote--I think something about my new worries that insurance won't cover my non-ivf fertility treatments if I need them solely because of my age.  Did your insurance cover Lupron, iui, and other non-ivf treatments?  I am really hoping for the best for your donor egg process!  Do keep me posted....
hi, had day 21 blood test and got result today score of 2!! as I believe should be 30 or over not looking good.  Nurse said that if no period by day 35 they took test on wrong day so only hope now is that no show by then.  Does anyone know if such a low score means that I just didn't ovulate when expected or that there is no chance of me ever ovulating again?  Had day 3 blood test and told everything normal and to go for day 21 test so really confused.  
Still hanging on by a thread!!!
ljsw