Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
whats my chances of conceiving now?

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

whats my chances of conceiving now?

I'm 21 years old and I'm not intrested in having a child right yet but I would like to know what's my chances of conceiving? I've been on horomone replacment therapy due to low levels of estrogen. My periods tend to stop for months at a time. I've been put on birth control but due to weight gain and other side effects I have quit taking it. So my question is will this affect my chances of having a baby when I try?
HI!
IF you were my patient, I would need a bit more information about why you are not having regular periods.  If it is likely due to PCOS then you may need to take some medications to help you ovulate when the time comes.  If you are on hormones for premature ovarian failure, the story is very different.
This disorder is quite rare and PCOS is quite common, so I suspect the former.
Most women with PCOS are able to have as many kids as they want.
One thing to be concious of is this: if the lining of the uterus builds up for periods of time longer than 3 months at a time, it can lead to conditions like hyperplasia and even cancer.  Your doctor might be able to prescribe something for you to start your period if it has been longer than 3 months or so.  
Good luck!
Dr B
Once you do decide you want to try there are many ways of getting pregnant with the help of medication especially if you are having a hormonal imbalance and sounds like possible anovulation (meaning you dont ovulate every month) there are alot of things out there that can help when the time comes. Just be advised that you probably want to try having children before you get into your thirties because your chances can significantly drop.

Hope the advice helps!