Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
when to try again after pregnancy loss to chorio?

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

hi,  i conceived a pair of twins via ivf in dec. Unfortunately, i was admitted to hospital at wk 22 d1 due to PROM in May. Had fever at wk 23 and had to induce d birth without delay. Drs found chorio in d placenta. The loss was a great pain to my family and myself. My hb and i would like to try for another baby but we are really afraid of going thru the same situation again. Please advice on the following:

1) how soon can we try for another baby after having prom due to chorio?                                             2) can we try naturally of via IUI if my hubby's sperm count is low instead of going thru ivf-embryo tsf?                                                                         3) can taking cranberry, vit c and probotics prevent chorio/prom in future pregnancy?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would express my most profound and sincere condolences for your loss--I am sure you were and are deeply distressed and will be for some time to come.  
Regarding your questions--
If you were my patient, I would advise you that there is no need to use any form of birth control to prevent pregnancy, but by the same token, it would probably be wise to wait 3-4 months before actively pursuing another pregnancy by artificial means.  There is no reason why you couldn't try IUI if your fallopian tubes are normal.  You should probably ask your RE why IVF was elected instead of IUI--or maybe you know the answer already.
If (lets hope when) you were to conceive again there is certainly no harm in doing everything you can to keep yourself healthy--cranberry juice can reduce your risk of urinary tract infection, probiotics can help maintain cultures of "good" bacteria.  Vitamin C in appropriate quantities is typically found in your prenatal vitamin.
In addition to the above, I would carefully watch your cervix using transvaginal ultrasound.  I would look for length and evidence of funneling or any reason for concern that your cervix was incompetent/and or opening too soon.
No one fully understands why PPROM/chorio occurs or what comes first--the infection or the rupture of the membranes.  It is difficult if not impossible to treat and not uncommonly ends sadly as in your case.
Gather all the information that you can from your doctors, including any test results/ path results etc.  That may or may not help provide clues for managing future pregnancies.
Good luck!
Dr B