Fibromyalgia Community
ADHD and Fibromyalgia link

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

ADHD and Fibromyalgia link

I was wondering how common FA was among women
who have been diagnosed with ADHD. My Rheumy told me that FA could be caused by something stressful or traumatic, like an abusive relationship, an assault or something. Seems to me, ADHD-ers have the "rush", or "fight or flight" feeling very often.  I'm wondering if having that physical response on a regular basis, whether the situation  warrents it or not could cause a higher incident of FA in this part of the  

population. Does anybody know of any studies done on this? Being
an ADHD-er myself, I am curious about this
There have been studies on what causes FM and they believe stress plays a role.  Now, whether this 'state of high alert' sets off something that incites FM, they can't say.  It is thought that some form of trauma can cause the onset, but they aren't clear as to how this happens.  Genetics probably play some role in this.

I had a period of time in my life where I ran full steam because of stress...feeling as if I was always on high alert.  Actually, I was always on alert due to medical conditions of those I loved and having to be the one to respond.  It is difficult to change the behavior pattern, but it can be done.  

I did not have ADHD at the time my FMS began, but may have it now after a couple of blows to the skull.  My son does have ADHD.  Studies are leaning towards ADHD being in the same category with other neurological illnesses (ie. possibly being set off by an underlying viral/bacterial infection).  So in that respect I would imagine one could have FMS and ADHD.   ADHD seems to be low priority to researchers because there is no pain involved and it can be treated with medication.  Maybe we will see more on this as the Whittemore Peterson Institute continues their research.

I was diagnosed with ADHD 6 years ago, by my son's neurologist. Without my medication, I think  I'm brilliant, but I'm the only one who seems to think so. My kids andmy fiancé are on me constantly to remember my meds. I've been through my share of traumatic experiences; abusive husband, sexual assault, near-drowning, being stalked,  robbery. I get alot of comments from friends/family about how I always seem to bounce right back from these events (btw, these happened over the last 10 years; not within the year or anything)
Anyhow, the other night I was lying in bed wide awake and started thinking that maybe a person has a limited amount of adrenaline. And when we use it up, we get FA. Or CFS.