Fibromyalgia Community
Air Beds!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Air Beds!

I've posted this before, but I can't say enough about air beds. For me, the way I feel in the daytime is directly related to the sleep I got the night before. I take Lyrica for pain and Clonepin for muscle twitches right before bedtime. I have the pressure in my $10.00 Walmart camping bed adjusted to where it's comfortable for me and, after reading for roughly 30 mins, I can turn out the light and drop off to sleep. I still have some trouble with waking in the middle of the night due to the sleep disorder itself, but almost never because of tender point pain. The only problem I have is that I have a cat in the house and I just can't bring myself to have him de-clawed. I have to keep a second bed boxed up in the closet just in case, but I think I have thick enough padding on the bed that he can't claw through it. Even if it cost $200.00 (I'm glad it doesn't) my airbed would be worth it to me just to get a good night's sleep.
Tags: sleep, air, pains
I KNOW WHAT U MEAN ABOUT A COMFORTABLE BED.  I COULDNT SLEEP IN MY OLD BED WHICH WAS JUST A REGULAR MATTRESS SO FINALLY I GOT ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY A MEMORY FOAM BED... WELL THAT DIDNT WORK EITHER SO I HAD A 90 DAY GUARANTEE WITH IT AND I CALLED THEM AND THE SALESMAN SUGGESTED THAT I GET A LATEX BED AND IT HAS LIKE AIR CHAMBERS IN THE MATTRESS AND DOENST HURT THE PRESSURE POINTS BUT THE MEMORY FOAM DID AND HE TOLD ME IT IS BECAUSE THE FOAM COMPRESSES DOWN WHEN U LAY ON IT MAKING IT HARDER.  I PAID ABOUT 1200.00 FOR THE MATTRESS BUT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY... EVERYONE THAT LAYS ON IT WANTS ONE LIKE IT!  I STILL SLEEP IN MY RECLINER ALOT THOUGH AND I DONT KNOW WHY.. I WOULD PROBABLY BE MORE COMFY IN MY BED!  THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE AIR BED... I'LL HAVE TO LET MY MOM KNOW ABOUT IT!
Thank you for the info.  I also found that a nice waterbed helps.  One that has baffles, as opposed to the older 'motion' beds.  Good sleep is so important!
I have a water bed and love it
hope you all rest well

Hugs, Pod
I never thought about a water bed. Unfortunately the apartment i'm moving to doesn't allow water beds... I finally got rid of my futon mattress! It was terrible! I bought a relatively inexpensive and got a memory foam pad. This works pretty well for me. I have trouble with sleep at night because i have mild sleep apnea, and have to sleep on my side or stomach...
HI, I thought I really made it to Heaven when I purchased an air mattress, only to have holes begin in it 4 months later. But while I had it, it was truly a God send. I would love to have another one. You say you got one at Wal Mart? I'm not that much overweight, but I don't think it would hold up for me that well. I think I spent $80 on the air mattress I had. Maybe an air BED and air Mattress are two different things? thanks, Willow
Has anyone here tried the select-comfort bed? They are the ones that you pump air into it to your own comfort.  Recommended for couples so you can adjust to your firmness. My sister has one and loves it.  These beds obviously are not cheap but alot of us would probably be willing to sacrafice something else for a good night's sleep!  I have a memory foam topper for several years and it does work for me, but sometime in the future I will be needing a new mattress.