Alternative to Lyrica
I have fibro, RA, Osteo, Type II Diabetes, and Chronic Fatique. Needless to say, I take tons of meds. I am having difficulty with Lyrcia. Anyone having success with an alternative to Lyrica?
Hi there!
The other drugs available for treating fibromyalgia are Cymbalta, Savella, and gabapentin. Cymbalta is a FDA approved serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Neurotransmitters like serotonin and nor epinephrine metabolism is altered in fibromyalgia so it may help. Savella which is a selective serotonin and nor epinephrine dual reuptake inhibitor is FDA approved drug for use in fibromyalgia. Savella increases norepinephrine and serotonin activity in the brain. This helps in fibromyalgia patients because low brain norepinephrine levels are thought to be related to increased pain and cognitive difficulties .Use of Savella is contraindicated in patients with uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma and in patients taking MAOIs. Savella and Cymbalta both can cause palpitations, nausea, vomiting, hypertension so a person on these drugs needs to get his blood pressure and pulse checked regularly. Do consult your doctor before starting any medication. There is no cure for fibromyalgia and management consists of finding an effective combination of lifestyle adjustments, such as regular exercise and healthy diet, and medication therapy. I hope it helps.
Good luck!