Fibromyalgia Community
Any help desperately needed!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Any help desperately needed!

I'm here looking for answers, and hope someone can help. I don't have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, however I do have a host of other symtpoms and most recently my elbows and knees are painful at night time. When I goggled night time knee and elbow pain, it directed me here- it must be fate :) So, I was diagnosed in 2003 with moderate to severe degenerative disc disease in my lower back L5-S1 to be precise, and  Spondylosis and dessiction without any compressions. The diagnosis was preceded by a year of severe unresolved lower back pain that  that led to to sleeping in a lazyboy recliner for 9 months straight. I received physiotherapy, which 'healed it' (and by that I mean brought the pain to a manageable level where I don't need help putting my underwear on anymore and can get my socks on by myself). My back pain requires a huge amount of management- ACCUPUNCTURE, massage therapy, stretching and the use of a hot tub to keep the pain at a manageable level in order to function. I use naproxen or Advil for severe pain, which seems to bother me most at night, then loosens up in the morning. In December - Roughly March 2010 I went through a few month period of extreme fatigue. Though I was emotionally low, I wouldn't say I was depressed, as I have suffered with bouts of depression on and off thoughout my life, beginning as a seasonal depression in my 20's and leading up to a 4 year long struggle in my 30's. I lost weight during this time in 2010 as well, had low energy levels and felt like my brain was under a sheet of fog. My joints and muscles hurt all the time. Blood work revealed elevated ferritin levels and GGT and ALT liver enzymes. Abdominal ultrasound found a 5 cm left ovarian cyst and minor focal fatty infiltrations in my liver. Gall bladder and pancreas were normal. Dr suspected herediatry hemochromatosis but genetic testing came back negative. He recommended blood letting to bring the ferritin level down, and after three months the ferritin was back to normal. The ovarian cysts persisted until this day. I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and was treated with birth control pills to regulate my cycle. Two years, three different birth control pills and a horrible case of mellasma later, I was still throwing ovarian cysts and now had terrible dark patches on my face. I stopped the birth control pills and have not taken any for 2 years. I know I periodically get ovarian cysts as I can feel them when they get greater than 5 cm. which has been confirmed by ultrasound over the years. The left sided cyst will rupture, the right side will cyst then rupture. And this continues. I will take Advil periodically for cyst pain, usually the three or four days when it's over 5 cm in size immediately prior to rupture.  As to the fatty liver the ALT and GGT remain elevated, but not critically high. Prior to 2000 I lived a vegan lifestyle without alcohol consumption and have recently gone back to that diet. Over the years I have found out I have numerous seasonal allergies (all trees, weeds, grasses, furry animals), as well as a gluten and lactose intolerance. Thyroid is normal, as well as vitamin d.  Recently I have been having bouts of very low blood sugar. They are sudden and progress immediately. Blood work shows hyperinsulimia with fasting blood level of 4.5. My family doctor finally has agreed to refer me to an endocrinologist. In the meantime, i am eating every 2 hours to prevent low blood sugar and am again suffering with severe nighttime elbow and knee pain. I am a 40 year old female, non smoker, no alcohol or drug use. We live on a farm and produce our own meat including chicken, beef and pork, as well as our own produce. I make our own bread and home can much of what I can't buy in the grocery store. I think this might be metabolic syndrome or perhaps fibromyalgia. Any thoughts appreciated.
Hi breita_k.

Sounds like a typical case of Ovarian-Hypothalamic-Thyroid axis imbalance
with possibly insulin resistance causing hyperinsulimia.
Carbs and gluten may be contributing to your issues.

An endo may be able to help you with some, but likely not all your endocrine issues, specially the O-A-T axis imbalance. You may want to do a search for this online, as it is rather complex to get into details here.
A knowledgeable naturopathic doctor in endocrine issues, may be able to help you better, as she/he is not limited to strict protocols like conventional endocrinologists are.

Let me know if you need any more info, since this, as I mentioned, is a challenging field in medicine.

Please note that my comments are not intended as a substitute for medical advice.

Best wishes.
Niko
thank you for the first piece of valid information that i have received. i have also wondered to what degree a twin pregnancy in 2001, with subsequent uterine haemorrhage has had on my current state of health. there is zero history of twins in my family. I delivered two healthy babies, a girl 7 pounds 3 oz, and a boy 6 pounds 11 ounces at term. I was also diagnosed with IBS at the age of 18 which lead to a very strict diet.