Fibromyalgia Community
Breast Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Breast Pain

Curious every so often (more often then not) my breast hurt something awful.  Does anyone experience that. My mammos say I have fibroglandular breast tissue, does anyone think this has anything to do with Fibromyalgia. I'm trying to get some knowledge on all my different pain locations. LOL!
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/BreastCancer/messages/164.html

Doctor's Answer

by CCF-RN,MSN-rf

CCF-RN,MSN-rf
Member since Mar 2001  

, Jun 27, 2001 12:00AM
Dear sll:  It is not uncommon for women to have fibrous tissue in their breasts.  In fact, it is very common.  Fibrous tissue is, in itself, not harmful.  However, it can cause discomfort and may appear dense on mammography, making these films more difficult to interpret.  Caffeine may contribute to fibrous tissue formation and minimizing coffee, tea, dark colas, and chocolate may help.

Hope this will help you feel better about everything.  I have planter fibroids, but not sure it has to do with fibromyalgia or not.  Others get this, but do not have fibro.
Hi, When at my gyno, I asked about the intense breast pain I have. He said it is muscle pain from the muscle wall that you feel in your breast. All the tissue is connected. I then told him I had Fibromyalgia. He looked at me and in an exclamatory voice said You definitely are having breast pain from the muscles in your chest wall!!  Then he went on to explain how pain can radiate and how the nerves are affected and how the breasts are included in the whole scheme of things.  

My mammograms are clear. I do get microcalcifications, had a few removed, henceforth scars, but no cancer, thank God.

Have no fear, this is normal for fibro sufferers.  I find the best relief is a heating pad on the chest wall on and above the breasts when I'm at rest.  Not very hot, warm as you like that it feels like it is getting through.

Last night I had a serious sharp pain in my chest wall that felt almost like heart pain. It scared me so much I got dizzy, and went into instand Fibro Fog. I went to bed without any sound in the room.  Today the leftover pain is sooo uncomfortable from the location of the pain all the way up my neck and collar bone and face on the one side. When I touch the collar bone and neck my face and eye sag a bit, my temple is very tender.  It is on the surface, so I know it is not my heart but our dear old friend fibromyalgia.  

Are you familiar with Myofacial Pain?  It is closely associated with FM and is like a sheet of thin muscle covering our whole body. * Dr. Devin Starlanyl "The Fibromyalgia Advocate"*   In conjunction with FM it can cause whole areas to have not only pain but a wide variety of painful sensations.  I do recommend that book.  She is a doctor that has FM and has written the book on it.

I hope I helped you.
Thank you for the info, sometimes when you know a little more about the pains they are a little better to handle, although that breast pain is unbearable!  I am not familiar with Myofacial Pain.  I'm trying my best to learn more about this but im always so tired!!!!! Between going to work and taking care of home I'm fried.  Today is one of the bad days, im so tired all i want to do is sleep and the breast pain is back with a vengance along with all  of the other pains! (I jinxed myself, lol)

I find it easier asking questions here and reading then a book, don't get sleepy.
Since the bad sharp pain in my chest and now the left over pain I have been extremely fatigued.  I slept yesterday until 1:30 a.m. and today until noon. That is very uncharacteristic of me.  I haven't had fatigue for years and usually get us somewhere between 7 and 8:30.  

There has to be an element of depression associated here. That is when fatigue has hit me in the past.

Bless you for doing all you do and getting through it each day
I've been having a terrible week with the breast pain, body pain, so sleepy even my blood pressure is up today.  What's a person to do.  Not to mention depressed.  The left side of my body is so swollen from my toes to my collar bone and weak, trying to find out what thats about. My asthmas has been acting up so bad lately.  Arghhhhhhh!!!!!  Just Venting
I can't believe it!  
What I can't believe is that my blood pressure is up also. 145/98 then normal then up on one arm and normal on the other. Then normal on both again. One time it was 145/78, what is that?

Could this be from coming off of an SNRI, or a reaction from being on it still?

I had to assume it was the tense muscles from the FM episode still there restricting blood flow, so I took 0.5 xanax. I have an old rx that isn't expired and I remembered the doctor telling me if I ever feel so tight I can't breath take one or two. It helped me last night.

My pulse remains normal but my heart feels heavy and my breathing is clear but hurts to breath because of the chest muscles.

I left my Dr. a message this morning.
What is SNRI???   My blood pressure goes up mostly when i don't feel well.  This week has been the breast and leg pain and really bad fatigue, all i do is sleep.
Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor  like Effexor, Cymbalta and Pristiq.

SSRI's are Selective Serotonin Reuptake inhibitor's like Zoloft, which just keep serotonin where it is most needed in the brain.

The other works on the two chemicals.

Thanks for answering my question. I was afraid it was my heart acting up.