Bruising??
Hi all
I'm wondering if any of you out there can identify with this symptom of fibro, or even if it is a symptom, I don't know!
I've noticed recently that I get intense itchy skin and when I scratch it really hurts, then a couple of days later a big purple bruise appears in the area that was itchy and lingers for about a week after turning various shades of green, yellow.  It looks horrible, as if I've had a fall or something!

Can anyone identify with this??  I've been diagnosed fibro for several months by the way.

Hi!

I'm not sure about the itchy skin, but I know that there is a disorder that causes itchy skin - I can't remember the name of it - that is often co-mingled with fibro. You can look into the co-diseases at http://fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/ and I am pretty sure that it is one of the diseases listed there.

I also bruise easily, but perhaps not as easily as you. The bruising easily might be a result of a platelet disorder, which there are blood tests for. It could also be due to anemia - have you had this checked? Anemia is also common n fibro.

I hope this helps a little bit!
If you have multiple chemical sensitivity (most with FMS do) it may be a reaction from something you have come in contact with.  

I also bruise easily, but not to the degree which you describe and not from scratching.

Hope you feel better soon.

I am not wanting to scare anyone here but I felt I had to tell you about a friend of mine :

she had started feeling very tired - put down to stress = she was also finding bruises on her body where she knew she hadn't knocked her self -  it turned out to be lukemia.  So do get bruising checked out - I would.

For years, I used to bruise so easily. When my CFS took a turn for the worse, that changed. I have no clue why, but I don't bruise as easy as I used to.
Thank you all very much for your replies.

Seen the doc today and am going for a blood test to check out my Platelet levels.  Hopefully I'll get an answer soon!

Take care everybody x

What I find fascinating about my own case is that over the years (since the '90's), my platelet count has steadily increased. It is now 500,000. The lowest it has ever been has been 290,000.

One thing that infections do is trigger the clotting system. Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, a physician and CFS patient... talks about this in his book. We also just discussed this in MedHelp's Complementary Medicine forum this morning.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Complementary-Medicine/--TREATING-BLOOD-CLOTS-and-MORE/show/856644
i have all the exact same things and i went to the doctor,to get my blood work back,and she said i have mono and am currently in the recovery stages and thats why the itching and bruising is occuring.
i bruise really bad on my legs.  i will get those dark, purple bruises and have no idea what i did to cause it.  i used to tell my husband that i was going to tell the doctor that he beat me!LOL!  i only seem to bruise like that on my legs-----ocassionally i'll find random bruises elsewhere.  i don't have any platelet problems and i'm not anemic---i just bruise easy on my legs i guess.  i've heard one that taking vitamin c might help.       when i used to wear nylons and my legs would get itching---i have atopic dermatitis---i would try and scratch through the nylons----that always left me with a good bruise.
Hi I have fibro also and I have the same problem. I have been iching the past few days and my arms, legs, back has big purple bruses in the spot where I iched. I look like someone has beet me up & it's ugly looking. I am seeing my dr. tomorrow to see what can be done. Good Luck!