Fibromyalgia Community
Burning sensations and aching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Burning sensations and aching

I have serious burning feet right now and my current diagnosis is CFS.  We've been thru the MS workup - all negative (LP and MRI).  I am on Cymbalta, Neurontin and Pamelor.  My burning comes and goes, usually in my feet but can migrate.    It is usually worse with stress, but it sounds just like peripheral neuropathy, according to a Doc at the Duke pain clinic.  I have no risk factors for neuropathy (no vit B6 poisoning, no alcoholism, no diabetes, etc).  I have been tested for everything under the sun.  I go to a chiropractor, no major help.  Just support and help with some mild back pain now and again.  Question is:  how do I know I have CFS vs. Fibro?  I was sent for a viral workup - had positive tests for CMV, HSV-1 and HHV-6 - my neuro says that the titers were high on those, so he put me on Famvir.  Anyway, this all goes in a relapsing/remitting fashion.  As I sit here, my feet feel like they are on hot coals, worse at night.  Any ideas/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.  Even just support:)
hope75 this is ashbashed and it is so hard to diag.or tell the difference between fibro and cfs. I know I finally after years and years of tests and bloodwork as well as medical history was finally diag. with fibro,lupus raynauads and sjogrens. I hate to say it but alot of these disorders come like in packages or called overlap syndromes. usualyy with fibro they look at med. history combined with trigger points in the body and how long youve had them. have you gone to the fibro foundation website? they have some really good info. also look into Raynauds it could? explain some of the symptoms you are having in your feet. Are your hands and feet worse in cold or hot weather?

Burning usually goes along with fibro, not CFS.

Also, the conditions (fibro & CFS) are two very different conditions. Both are alike in some ways though... we have symptoms of an autoimmune disease and there is no test (not yet... except a research test (Red Labs USA))

It sounds like you have plantar's facitis, which forgive me for sounding like a broken record, can be fixed with ultrasound.
Hey woman, it's me Sandra from the MS board, remember me?  I have been diagnosed with Fibro just last week "officially", but do you remembe my MAIN symptom other than fatigue - BURNING FEET and I still have it.  I've too been through the MS workup, the periph workup and the diabertes workup - all negative findings.  I have pain all over my body.  My diagnosis is correct I believe and it feels so good to FINALLY be diagnosed with something other than "nothing".  I think yo9u need to ask your doc - because IMO, when I search on the net for FM .....CFS goes right along with it or CPS (chronic pain syndrome), so I think they go hand in hand, you probably have Fibro.   Hang in there sweetie, and keep me posted and let me know if you have any questions.  HUGS
Could you describe your burning pain?  Is it constant?  Does it cover big areas?  Does it feel like its the muscles burning and tight?  Or just on the skin surface?  I have been having a carpet burn/razor burn feeling on my skin for about a year now, its getting worse.  Mine feels like just little areas about the size of a quarter and it will start burning for a few seconds, then it will come back at a later time.  This happens all over the place.  I have not been diagnosed with anything yet, but a few of my docs mentioned fibro, I have had a ton of bloodwork, 2 brain MRIs, complete spine and lots of stomach tests.  Everything normal.  I did though when this all started have a reaactivted EBV infection, this was 7 years ago.  I also get migraines, irritable bowel, TMJ, and have many trigger points.  

Thanks, Jen
Bloodwork can NOT diagnosis fibro. It is a mimic of many other things. The most definitive symptom of fibro are 18 specific trigger points that when pressed by  an examiner cause pain. There are many other symptoms, but you must have at least 11 out of the 18 to be diagnosis with fibro. If you have any questions as to where these trigger points are, google fibro. or fibromyalgia association.com. There will be a chart showing where these trigger points are. Bloodwork can rule out fibro, but not rule it in. Good luck
THANK you all for your comments.  This is such a great forum.  Anyway - spankyandrex, I do remember you and thanks for your support.  It is aweful that someone else has this condition, but good to know you are not alone or crazy.  I did have the trigger points according to my neuro (this is my 2nd neuro - first said fibro 2nd says CFS).  My new neuro thinks outside the box and orders bloodwork on these viruses, since nobody has a clear answer on what causes fibro or CFS - his philosophy is that it is interesting that many describe having a virus prior to onset of symptoms.  Also, the antivirals seem to help many of his patients - not all.  If I quit taking them, it seems to get worse - could be placebo or just coincidence, but it can't be ruled out either.  I ALSO SUFFER MIGRAINES to the poster who has these nasty headaches.  I get the aura, and the vision changes and the nausea and pain.  This is a neurological storm, so it's interesting that it comes in conjunction with neuro symptoms in the rest of my body.  Anyway I have to sprint - I'm at work.  Will check up later!  

THANKS AGAIN!