Fibromyalgia Expert Forum
Could this be Fibro?

This expert forum is for questions and information regarding Fibromyalgia. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Could this be Fibro?

Quick stats: 32 yr old male, 6'0", 140lbs, history of anxiety and digestive issues

I have been suffering from sleeping problems for about the past 3 months.  The issue first cropped up right before a vacation so I thought the poor sleep and accompanying knee and finger joint pains were associated to some possible travel anxiety.  I met with my GP upon returning from vaca and she recommended Melatonin.  I tried it for 2 weeks with no change.  Shortly after I got some CVS Sleep Aid pills and used those for about 3-5 nights.  They helped me sleep but made me very droggy in the mornings which was not working so I stopped taking those.

My symptoms have returned a few times over the past few months but most recently this weekend/today.  Most often when there are flare ups I awake from sleep still VERY tired and often with dark circles under my eyes.  By noon time, I am completely tanked.  I go home after work and immediately get in the bed to rest for 1-2 hours.  My knees and fingers especially ACHE all day long and my eyes are dry and irritated all day as well.  Falling asleep at night is not much of a problem (usually around 11pm) but I feel after about 2-3 hours of sleep that I am waking up every 30 minutes or so thus never hitting my REM cycle.  My alarm goes off at 7am.  When these flare ups occur, I don't really remember dreaming; not sure if that's relevant or not.

I'm trying to get in with my GP again but she is booked up for 2 weeks.  NO other symptoms like headache, sore throat, fever, etc - none - just severe fatigue and knee/finger joint aches.  My shoulder is particularly sore today and thinking back over the last few days I can't find a reason why - seems more muscular though and definitely different from the knee/finger pain.

Do these symptoms seem consistent with Fibro?  I would like to find some options to take to the doctor with me this time.  Thanks in advance!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It could be Fibromyalgia. The disorder needs a careful examination and a lot of investigations to confirm the diagnosis.
The most significant symptom of fibromyalgia is pain.The discomfort is not in the joints but in the muscles and ligaments unlike Arthritis. The common sites of pain are the neck, shoulders, back, and hips. The tenderness in these points is worse in the mornings and has been described as flu-like, burning, throbbing, aching, or stabbing.
Another symptom associated with fibromyalgia is fatigue. The severity of the fatigue can range from mild to debilitating. Fatigue can be so incapacitating  that some people find it difficult keeping their jobs. Good sleep at night or rest during the day is of no help for relief.
A common symptom of mental haziness or fibrofog is also associated . This presents as  an inability to concentrate, memory loss, and depression.
Other symptoms found to be associated with fibromyalgia are insomnia, nervousness, numbness, dizziness, intestinal disturbances and headaches.
Fibromyalgia Symptoms are significantly characterized by presence of tender spots. These tender spots are particularly in the neck, spine, shoulders and hips.
No single blood test or X-ray can tell that you have fibromyalgia. The diagnosis is made by taking a detailed history and doing a complete physical examination. Blood tests and  X-rays are done to rule out illnesses that mimic fibromyalgia like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
The muscle pain must be present for longer than three months to confirm the diagnosis as  Fibromyalgia. The pain must occur at specific sites called tender points on the body. 18 of these tender spots have been defined. Most are located on the neck and back.
Diagnosis is made by applying mild pressure to the tender points. If discomfort occurs at 11 or more of these points, Fibromyalgia diagnosis is confirmed. Please correlate your symptoms to the classic findings of Fibromyalgia and see if if you need to be examined further for the disorder. Please discuss the findings with your doctor . Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!