Fibromyalgia Community
Could this be fibromyalgia, or something related? Screaming for help at...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Could this be fibromyalgia, or something related? Screaming for help at this point

This all started when I was 16 years old, so I've been suffering on and off for 10 years now. No prior issues with health. I wanted to add that for the last 8 years I have been battling drug and alcohol abuse, so perhaps that plays into it. Anyways, around the time I began abusing my Adderall (adderrall) XR script I began to practice piano obsessively at 16 , and when I wasn't doing that I was playing on the computer during every moment of free time. In other words, a lot of repetitive activity coupled with a bad posture. One day everything snapped, and I began developing carpal tunnel like symptoms throughout both of my arms and wrist. Tried to shake it off and wait for it to go away, but it didn't. Eventually the pain spread throughout (more or less) my entire body, and this is where it gets truly weird. To this day I get this pain that comes and goes, hits on different areas of my body, and different sensations are apt to occur... burning, tingling, tightness in the skin/outer layer of muscle. Sometimes my ear will start burning, hell a lot of times the burn radiates all the way down to my feet! I never know when the pain is going to flare up, and there have been fairly long periods of time where there was no pain whatsoever, but as soon as I start trying to do the two things I love (piano and computer) with any sort of regularity, the pain comes back with a vengeance. For years now I have been unable to stand even so much as a high-five on the hand, so sensitive is the outer layer of my skin. When everything flares up, I am also known to be extremely irritable, so I believe something is occurring within my brain in conjunction with all this.I wanted to make piano or programming a potential career at one point, but that is out of the question. I have never received a proper diagnosis from any of the numerous specialists I visited, because every x-ray and test that was ran has showed up normal. The closest I have come to diagnosing myself has been fibromyalgia, but even then a lot of the symptoms don't line up. The only relief I have found besides complete abstinence from repetitive motion has been the drug lyrica. I mean come on, Lyrica for Christ's sake. Don't they prescribe this stuff for old people that are wheelchair-bound? I worry a lot about how this could get even worse as I get older.

What on earth is wrong with me? And if there is no easy answer, so be it, but I've got to start being proactive in some way. I am screaming for help
I feel your pain.  I was 17 when I was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr and never fully recovered.  I had to give up piano, because sitting at the piano was too painful.  I didn't have a keyboard then.  I don't know if you have Fibromyalgia, but it sounds like the things I did could help you too.  I moved to the San Jose, CA area and walked an hour each day in the sunshine.  Eventually I was well enough to sing with a band and then took up the keyboard as well.  Standing made it all possible.  I also found that drinking a lot of water, doing yoga or tai chi or breathing exercises like BodyFlex helped me feel human.  So great!  And the Body Ecology Diet filled me up with wonderful, healing foods - I was doing so well, I got overconfident and agreed to move to Iowa when my husband was offered a great position.  Long story about my health's downhill fall after that, but I'm climbing up slowly with the help of a treadmill every day.  I hope to get back into yoga, but my hip surgery makes that too difficult at the moment. The moral to my story:  When you find something that works, keep it up.  Don't stop.  I should never have agreed to move.  I got cocky that I'd defeated the monster, and that lead to a great fall.   Don't ever apologize for the things that you need.  God bless!