Fibromyalgia Community
Crimson Crescents

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Crimson Crescents

Hey everyone!  Let me start by saying I am a bit of a hypochondriac, but I am having some "weird" symptoms.  I have been having a sore throat on and off for a while.  I have been to three doctors (incuding an ENT) and I was told that my tonsils are growing back and that I have allergies.  I also have these purple streaks going from the side of my throat up to the soft palate.  I have "diagnosed" them myself as crimson crescents.  When I google this all I can find is CFS.  I am sleepy A LOT, but it isn't so bad that I can't get out of bed.  Does anyone else have these?  What else can cause them?  I asked the ENT he said it was "normal pigmentation."  It may be normal, but it hasn't always been there.  I have also read that some doctor's think CFS is linked to AIDS?  Is this true??  I would not consider myself high risk at all, but I did go have an HIV test done last Monday just to ease my fears.  It was negative, but the more I read the more I want to go have another test just to be certain!  I just graduated from nursing school so you would think I could help myself, but I am honestly at a loss.  I had a CBC done recently and it was all normal.  My WBC were on the low side of normal (5.7 I think, but still, normal).  If anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it!  Thanks so much!!!
not a direct aids link, but cfs is certainly viral - most cfs develops after a person has had a usual viral infection which becomes a severe fatigue that won't budge.
don't know anything about the crimson crescents! but sure sounds like an interesting diagnostic.
now even though you can still get out of bed, cfs has a wide range of severities; i would rally still take things easy
are you sleepy tired or are you exhausted tired? i find the cfs is more a physical body exhaustion, rather than snoozy tired... others may report differently... i just remember when i was first getting tired, it was different - a SICK tired not anything like the usual tiredness... just be careful. make sure you have adequate rest and your nutrition is up to date! :)
Hi pink!  I have some similar symptoms.  I have a white line that goes along the inside of my mouth on both sides.  Whenever I shine a light into my mouth, I also see small purple dots near the line.  This is so weird.  I heard from a doc that some CFS patients have these crimson cresents.  Im going to a Rheumy next week and will ask her what she thinks.  I dont know much about it right now but i wanted to let u know that u are not alone in these bizarre symptoms.  I absolutely hate this illness!   I hope they find a antiretroviral soon that will stop this virus.  
Acker-Thanks for the response!  I'm more sleepy tired..but I do notice I kind of zone out a lot.  I have to make myself get up and do things.  I don't really feel sick though.  I have a pretty much chronic sore throat due to post nasal drip (I guess allergies).  The doctors don't really seem worried but I DO NOT like these purple things in my mouth!

csb67-I'm glad I'm not alone.  Let me know what your doctor says.  I would go see more doctors but I really don't know what to say.  I'm not really "sick" and the ENT acted like the purple lines weren't a big deal.  I almost had a heart attack when I read about AIDS but the more I read it says that true CFS isn't liked to AIDS, it is viral and has common symptoms but it isn't like it necessariily causes CFS.  Take care!