Fibromyalgia Community
Depo-Medrol/Decadron Injections

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Depo-Medrol/Decadron Injections

I have been diagnosed with fibro for 18 years.  For the last 9 years I've seen the same internist and up to 4 times a year he would inject into my buttocks muscle a combo of Depo-Medrol (80mg) and Decadron (2 mg) to help ease the CONSTANT aching.  I usually timed these shots for special events - going on vacation - daughter getting married, etc.  They worked immediately and lasted for 6 weeks to 3 months.  

My internist has moved on and I now have a newbie internist who flat outright told me today, "I will not give you those steroids.  It simply wouldn't be ethical."  I asked if anyone else in the same practice would inject me and he said, "When I came on board here, I was specifically asked by the other doctors NOT to continue the tradition of these shots given out freely by Dr. XXX."

So...is this truly a health concern?  Or...is my new internist just being stubborn?

Thanks for your help,

Bonnie in MI
I would be concerned about steroids too.  They only help temorarily and have lots of sx.  I would try out what this new dr. says. Is he offering other help, like Neuronton or Lyrica?   Steriods can cause lots of problems later on and perhaps some new drugs will work long term for you. I just started Lyrica and am hoping for some pain relief.  Hope you get some relief and find something that will help.  

Best wishes,
Linda
I had been on Lyrica but never again. The only thing I gained from it was a little sleep but when I decided to stop I was deathly sick for 2 weeks. I would not recommend it to anyone. I also know 2 other people who was given it for the shingles, my father being one and when taken off he was like brain dead for weeks. As for the other person he kept falling. I would reconsider this medication.
Yes, there is a concern.  Since FMS is thought to be caused by underlying bacterial/viral infections your immune system is already under attack.  Placing you on steriods for something that is not an inflammatory disease is lowering your immune system even moreso.  

Please look at our Health Pages.  Read the information discovered by Dr. Garth Nicolson regarding the cause of FMS/CFS.  You can print this out and talk with your new physician about it, as he seems receptive and perhaps knowledgable about using steroids.  Also, there are different protocols that others here are using to treat these pathogens and it's working.  These are also in the Health Pages.

Best of luck to you.
Well true these inj are probably not the best but I too have had fibro for 13 years and all these other medications aren't good either. Pain meds, etc. so my internest who is conservative gave me one today. She did however say. You can't take this often but it should give me relief through the winter months.  I'm curious to see how it will affect me and if I can function better with less meds. Good luck. It is a hard road