Fibromyalgia Community
Dextromethorphan and FMS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Dextromethorphan and FMS

I've had a really bad cold this past week and have been taking a cough syrup with Dextromethorphan in it.  I also have an ileal pouch (no large bowel) and have had 'problems' at night the last couple of nights that I've taken the cough syrup.  Amazingly though, my fibro pain has been extremely low.  I did some searching and found that Dextromethorphan is being researched as a treatment for fibro but you need to be very careful about what depression meds you are on as there are interactions.   I did find that some of us with ileal pouches do have gastro issues so for me I will have to leave my trusty cough syrup alone for now.  Something to look into for other though.
For ur couh, id recommend sum euculyptus essential oil. Id rub sum on ur chest and bottoms of ur feet and put a pair of socks on over ur feet after. There are so many ways to make natural cough medicine using garlic or apple cider vinegar. If ur interested, let me know.
Or u could make a vinegar syrup as a cough remedy. To calm a cough, mix 5 tbsp of honey with 5 tsp of organic cider vinegar. This mild syrup will relieve coughing and help break up phlegm. Or u can do a chest compress which enhances this effect. Soak a towel in equal amounts of cider vinegar and hot water (as hot as u can stand) and place it on your chest for 30 minutes. Sorry, just couldn't stop...had to share this with u lol.
squirtatious, thank you for the ideas.  The honey and cider vinegar mixture sounds promising.  I think I'll give it a try.
Trudie ur welcome, it will help give u relief without any ill side effects:)