Fibromyalgia Community
Diabetes and Obesity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Diabetes and Obesity

I am a 55 year old, 40 pound over weight, black male that has never smoked and drinks alcohol occassionally.  And, about years ago I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and perscribed 1- 10 mg tablet a day of Lipitor for treatment.  I've since been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and prescribed 1 - 1000 mg tablet twice a day of Metformin for treatment.   For the past several years, I've been focused on lossing weight with little results.  The things that I'm doing routinely are: 1) reduced intake of processed carbs, 2) walk for 45 minutes 3 to 4 times a week coulped with a 15 minute exercise.  Are there naturalistic treatments that can reverse and/or cure high cholesterol and diabetes?
Can the medicines be hindering my ability to loss weight?  What else should I be doing?
Welcome to the forum.

Steve ,Lipidor has been linked to diabetes 2.
A study published in March 2011 in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology found that some statins could increase the risk of diabetes by as much as one-third!
I don't mean to alarm you, but,
Lipitor increases blood sugar levels as a byproduct of preventing your body from creating cholesterol, and increasing insulin levels can promote BELLY FAT*, high blood pressure, heart attacks, heart disease, fatigue, THYROID DISRUPTION* and have also been linked to Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and cancer.
* These consequences can explain some of the weight gain.
The Metformin is not associated with weight gain but rather with weight loss.

Statin drugs do not reduce the risk of death in about 95% of the population, including healthy men with no pre-existing heart disease, women of all ages, and the elderly.

If you DON'T HAVE HEART DISEASE please read the following:

"Statins have never been shown to be effective in reducing the risk of death in people with no history of heart disease!"

According to an article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal:

No study of Statins  has ever shown to  reduce mortality in healthy men and women with only an elevated serum cholesterol level and no known coronary heart disease. (CMAJ. 2005 Nov 8;173(10):1207)

So to answer your question, taking yourself off Lipidor- after consulting with a Holistic Doctor and NOT the prescribing Doctor, as he will likely defend his position on Statins-, may prove to be the key to accomplishing what you want.
Of course, continuing your present healthy routine is necessary!
I would encourage you to do a daily exercise routine if possible.
And drink plenty filtered or spring water, 1 hour away from meals.

Please note that my comments and suggestions are not intended as medical advice. You should do your own research to verify the aforementioned statements and consult with a HOLISTIC DOCTOR.
If you need details on anything post again or pm me directly.
Best wishes.
Niko

PS You may also post at the Weight Loss and Heart Communities.
This is the Fibromyalgia Community, so you may not get many replies.
It just happens that I'm familiar with this, as I study the effects of various chemical drugs prescribed for certain conditions and researching for natural equivalents.
Should you decide to get off Lipitor (after consulting with a knowledgeable
practitioner) and still find after a while that you're not experiencing much improvement, please let me know, as there are a lot of natural options
available to you!