Fibromyalgia Community
Does anyone with Fibro have hyperacusis or tinnitus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

I have Fibromyalgia and have hyperacusis and tinnitus in both ears. I heard that both can be symptoms of Fibro and I wondered if anyone has gotten these with their Fibro?
Precious,

I am not dx'd as of yet, but have been worked up for MS and being worked up for Lyme currently. However, I have both conditions.
I have FM symptoms, but not been given dx, per se.  The tinnitus is 24/7,  but the hyperacusis occurs sporadically when I'm feeling a dizzy headache feeling.
My ears ring all the time, however sometimes it's much louder. I don't know for sure if it is from the FMS but I tend to think it may be.
Caroline,

I also have pulsatile tinnitus. This is more of a whooshing sound or a sound of my heartbeat. Because of my lack of a dx, I don't know what it is.
Is the pulsing the same frequency as your heart beat? Mine is ~ 3x faster than my heart beat, it is the same frequency as my visual snow (~ 200 bpm).

When my hyperacusis is at its worst, my own voice hurts my ears, and of course, sharp noises -- like a fork hitting a plate -- are painful.
I have fibro and tinnitus.  The ringing is 24/7 and is much worse in my left ear.  I was dx'd with fibro years before the tinnitus developed.

I'd never heard of hyperacusis....however certain noises (piano symphany music for example) makes me very anxious as does static on the radio.
I had to look up the definition of hyperacusis.  Sounds like me alright.  And, I've had tinnitus off and on since I was a kid.  I recall the age when I was getting chronic ear infections.  I would almost always get tinitus right before getting another ear infection.  I'm still in limbo with diagnosis, but my doctor did tell me a few years ago that I was a borderline case.  I still get some really intense tinitus at times, and it seems like it coincides with some of my migraines.  I get a lot of migraines, so that means I still get a lot of tinitus.  
I've had hperacusus and tinnitis for the last 4 years or so (I've had fm for 14 years) and didn't know they were symptoms of fm until last fall!  I'm still learning...

CFS dx here.... I also have hyperacusis & tinnitus.

yes always had the tinnitus but recently am very sensative to noise..,.i always loved going to live gigs. but the last one annoyed me to bits. shame!!  
I have tinnitus and Fibro Diagnosis.. To those with pulsaite tinnitus/wooshing.. you really need to make sure you go see a neurologist.. this can be signs of something serious; I am not trying to scare you; but that type is linked to vascular issues.   I have good ole' cricket white noise in both ears, 24/7.  I have started a support group for tinnitus sufferers on facebook, along with links to informaiton, tips, tricks, and a place to just plain vent and ask questions! lol; it's called "I hate having tinnitus".  You can simply search and find it!

Tinnitus is commmon in people with Lyme, Fibro, CFS, and loud noise exposure.  There are tests to determine which type you have, and if it is related to any other ear ailment or damage; vestibular infection, mereineres disease; etc.  once you pass your ENG test, and you have no known hearing loss or noise exposure it's pretty much your brain folks.. and it's based on the same principle as fibro; overstimulation of nerves.. what you hear is neurons communicating.. (not their actual sound, but the result of)  

Also TMJ can cause tinnitus, as well as trigger points/neck issues can cause it.. so with Fibro.. it's like a triple threat!

absolutely! Have had tinnitus for years, but came down with a bad ear/sinus infection in november. 2 weeks later still had the problem: heaviness in sinuses and ear, sensitivity, pain, hearing my own voice at times, popping,etc. Did ct scan of the sinuses, all's well there. straight to the ent who scoped ears and sinuses and saw no infection. Audiologist who found a 5 decible loss in the left ear over 3 tones, to a MRI of brain and inner auditory canals (of course normal) and the dx of it's my fibro! To the point of not going to the doc with any new symptoms, cause it costs me too much and only comes up as some new and twisted place fibro is invading!
I have pulsatile tinnitus and fibro.  Didn't go to neurologist but did see and ENT and he said after the CT scan that I am fine but need to live with the tinnitus.  Also have some hearing loss.