Fibromyalgia Expert Forum
Does edema go along with fibro?

This expert forum is for questions and information regarding Fibromyalgia. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Does edema go along with fibro?

I was diagnosed with CFS in 1994 then a few years later with fibromyalgia.  Now I am having a lot of problems with edema and a different type of pain. Having the diagnosis of CFS & Fibro, any symptoms gets written off to them.  

The pain is always worse in the morning as is the edema.  My ankles and feet feel like concrete in the morning.  The edema effects my hands, feet  and I also have periorbital edema. The mornings are alway the worst.  I also recently had fluid in my abdomen (I gained 4 pounds over night).  It can also present after sitting for awhile without moving like during a nap during the day too.  

I know my cardiac function is good.  There was one time 2  years ago my Creatinine went up to 1.2mg/dL, GFR went down to 53.  Those have returned to normal.  I did have 24 hour urines done every 6 months for awhile.  The abnormals were: 10/07 24 hr. urine protein 184 mg/24hr. (<150 = normal), 5/19/08: creat. clerance 135.8 mL/min (69.0-122.0), 24 hr ur protein 288.0,  5/30/08 GFR 57.34 24 hr urine protein 162.0.  2/09 24 hour urine was all normal.  

The only labs that I know that are abnormal now are 8am cortisol 3.6ug/dL (8.7-22.4ug/dL), platelets always run slightly high (343-575th/mm3), free T4 0.77ng/dL (0.80-1.80)

My question is: Is this really part of fibromyalgia, and if not where should I look? I was told not to worry about the protein in the urine until it got over 300 mL/min.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Thank you in advance,
Karen

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Tightening or morning stiffness is associated with Fibromyalgia . Myofascia is a thin, translucent film that wraps around and through body tissue .It gives shape to and supports all of the body's musculature. Tightening in the myofascia occurs in many cases of FMS. In the myofascia there is a material called ground substance. This material can exist in a solid, semisolid, or fluid state. When ground substance changes from a liquid to a gel, and then changes back into its more solid form, the myofascia tightens, and it is difficult to get it to reverse to a liquid state again without intervention. Edema is also common in FMS  and does not respond well to diuretics.
As far as your test reports are concerned , high creatinine clearance values can be caused by strenuous exercise, muscle injury (especially crushing injuries), burns, carbon monoxide poisoning, hypothyroidism .Whole body infections can cause low cortisol levels and proteinuria . There are two reasons for a platelet count rising higher that 300,000 per milliliter. There is either an increased production or a decreased removal of platelets. An increased production of platelets usually occurs in infections . So your Lab tests only suggest of a whole body infection and mild hypothyroidism . Please consult a physician and get yourself examined and get investigations done to rule out infection which may be the cause of edema besides Fibromyalgia . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !

Hi!
I also have edema, in my left foot and leg. I wish that I had a good answer fro you! My doctor just put me on a water pill. But, I'm going to see a new doc, that specializes in this, I also have low cortisol, & fibro.
I'll let you know, if i find out anything that can help. I go to him on Aug 8th.
Would a round of oral steroids decrease the swelling in hands and help fatique in those with fibromyalgia?

Thanks, Karen
bump.  I am curious about the effects of prednisone on fibro.  

thanks
Karen
Avatar_dr_m_tn
How are you?
A number of studies have been carried out to assess the role of Prednisone in the treatment of Fibromyalgia symptoms. It was found that steroids have no significant effect on thepatients and did not reduce the symptoms. So it cannot be said whether a round of oral steroids will help you in relieving the swelling of the leg and foot. I would advise you not to take steroids. You may try taking NSAIDs to relieve swelling instead.

A few home care measures may help you to get rid of the symptoms. Please elevate your legs while sitting or sleeping. Individualized exercise and nutrition programs are very important to relieve many of the symptoms of  Fibromyalgia. A moderate daily exercise program is necessary to improving muscle fitness, reduce muscle pain and tenderness, increase circulation, promote better sleep and for stimulate the body to produce endorphins, a natural painkiller. Proper diet plays an important role in relieving FM symptoms. Please avoid high fat foods and eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and nuts. Reduce or eliminate caffeine, tobacco and alcohol from your diet. Choose white meats over red.
These changes in your lifestyle will definitely improve most of the symptoms.
Take care and regards!
Thanks for answering my question.

Unfortunately, the swelling is not relieved with elevation.  In fact, the edema is worse first thing in the morning.  I know my cardiac function is good, so that is not the problem.

I took a short does of predisone that my primary doctor gave me. (burst & taper)  All my symptoms sent away for about a week.  It took two days after I started the predisone to start feeling better, then in lasted about a week.

My difficulty is that since I have CFS/fibro, all the doctors that I have seen. (and it has been many) attribute everything to this condition.  

What can I do to feel better and get appropriate help?

Thanks so much for your help!
Karen
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If CFS and Fibromyalgia exist together, Prednisone may be effective. It is not effective in Fibromyalgia alone but may work well if other muscle disorders are present at the same time. From your earlier posts it was suggestive that you were initially given a diagnosis of CFS and Fibromyalgia later but it was a bit unclear that both of the conditions exist together.
Please consult a physician to discuss the steroid therapy if you feel it relieves the symptoms of CFS. You must adopt the self care measures and lifestyle changes that I have mentioned to get a long term relief. They work well for both the conditions. You may not require steroids if you follow them. Take care!