Fibromyalgia Community
Does thIs sound like fibromyalgia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Does thIs sound like fibromyalgia?

I'm a 38 y.o. healthy female except for hypertension. I am not overweight. Okay...my most recent ailment is leg pains. I walk a lot and one evening going up a sidewalk, i felt and heard a click in my knees in my left leg and it kind of hurt a little. I just shook it off like I normally do and think it will go away. Well it hurt a while and my leg kind of went a bit numb, and felt swelled up like it's cramping. It scared me. After my walk (exercise), both of my legs felt heavy and a bit achey (achy) eventhough I didn't walk a lot that evening. And believe me I am a walker. I would walk for one hour every night. And during the day too. My doctor thinks I stay up on my feet a lot, and it's just a part of getting old. Told me to get one of those tights for circulation. That was a month ago. I remember that was the start of this mysterious aches in my legs. I would get a heaviness feeling, some cramping and tiny stabs as if someone is pinching my skin. It doesn't feel like my muscles. More like nerves closer to the skin. Also lately I've been getting up in the morning with very sore muscles all over as if I had a hard workout, which I never did. It felt like I ran a marathon! My hips were sore and body feels very heavy. I had a glimpse of what being 70 feels like. Only I'm not even 40!

Since 2002, I've had many pains in addition to this. I have a repetitive strain syndrome on both of my hands (CTS).  They feel so tight all day. Not long after that, I have this strange feelings in my whole body. Mostly the feeling is in the joints. In the hip joints where my leg starts, shoulder/arm, ankles. The feeling is hard to describe. I can only say it's so uncomfortable and I have an uneasy feeling. It makes me want to shake my arms, my legs to get that uneasy tender feeling. If I can crack my elbows and shoulders and legs like I do my knuckles, I would! I once temped for a job and I was in a very stressful situation, and bad working environment, in a very cold room, given a complex assignment with no one to ask, was put in a desk far away from the people, and the person supposed to train me went to a meeting, that soon after my body went into this mysterious strange feeling uneasy mode that I walked out of the office and called the temp agency and told them I was walked out of my assignment. That's when I had a hunch, high stress situation triggers it. I attribute my condition with a series of very stressful events: chronic stress, laid off employment, death of both parents; unemployment; followed by a very stressful job in an unpleasant environment which I am still in.
I know the answer is to get out of the work situation I have now. I know this but it takes time. But the pains I'm having is 1) scaring me. 2) depressing me. 3) i can't share it with anyone at work because they'll think I'm a freak and will just spread bad rumors around 4) i don't trust anyone at work and I have no friends there 5) my boyfriend is supportive and gives me massages but that's not enough for me. 5) i'm frustrated that my doctor tells me i'm healthy and my blood work turns out ok. but i don't feel healthy 6) doctor she asked me if i'm depressed - i go yes because of my pains and my job but i've been depressed all my life seems like and having pains really has nothing to do with it. i know some, but not the pain i have. this is something else. 7) i'm very frustrated doctors act like they don't know...I'm sure they are seeing a lot of these conditions from other people. why make me feel like i'm making it all up?
8) she's been good with my blood tests before calling me the next day for the result...but when it came to the rheumatoid arthiritis test she brushed me off. First she had me redo some parts of it. She answered (gave result) on the one I retook, but failed to give me result to the one I was worried about. I called her twice about it. The first time she just said Oh that it's not ready, but didn't tell me when it would be ready. The second time I called she said she forgot and that I had to remind her! Yes, I know it's time to change Drs. But I actually came back to her after we had a falling out before and I've changed to several doctors afterwards only to find out she was the best out of all of them, hence I returned. Now, back to this.
I'm sorry this got too long! But is the leg pains a symptom of Fibromylgia (fibromyalgia)? I'm not sure if that's what I have. The doctor didn't even mention that, but she suspected I have RA. and then when my blood test came out normal, she just threw out all my concerns out the window and basically turned her back on me. I'm just fed up with the doctors. It's probably more helpful to look into the internet and ask people and read about this mysterious ailment. Thank God for the internet!

Thanks to anyone who might have some info or hunch or advise.
I can't say for sure what you have but boy do I share alot of your symptoms.  Go to a rhuematologist and have them do the trigger point test for you.  Its the only test that exists that I know of that they use to diagnose FMS.  Also have him rule other things out like lupus and RA.  I hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon!