Fibromyalgia Community
Explaining the diagnoses of CFS/FM to friends and family

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Hello.  My name is Sarah, and I was diagnosed at Mayo Clinic on Friday with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia.   I have been sick for 4 years, and had seen 22 doctors before going to Mayo.  I have been working half time and have spent progressively less time doing social things with friends.  

I am now back in Texas and am faced with telling my friends and family about my diagnoses, while trying to let this sink in myself!   Any suggestions on ways to tell people about these diagnoses or good resources to share would be so very much appreciated.  

And if anyone has suggestions for good doctors in the Austin, Texas area, that would also be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
sarah

I've found what works for me is giving my friends and family members the latest research info on my condition (I have CFS). It took my family members years to come around and accept the fact that I was so ill. Many of us feel that the name "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" trivializes this disease. CFS can be a serious illness and physicians who treat CFS patients know this. One thing that may help is checking out the CFIDS Association of America website for more information on CFS and/or feel free to check out my website (it is listed in my profile) for the latest treatments & research on CFS and fibromyalgia.

Good luck and let us know what happens !

PlateletGal

Go to this website      jonniewright.com    and see fibromyalgia for beginners. It's a    great place to start , learn and explain to others. Best Wishes and Welcome to the Fibro Family ,Sharon
Wow!!! That,,,, is a real toughy.  Perhaps the best way is come right out and tell it like it is.......

CFIDS Asso. is very informative.......that's the first place I learned all there's to know about this illness...now there're so many other sites are just informative.  

Hugs,
Kit