Fibromyalgia Community
Extremely sore arms...any ideas???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Extremely sore arms...any ideas???

I was diagnosed with fibro about 2 years ago and recently I have had some more severe episodes.  Has anyone ever experienced severe pain in the muscles on the back of your upper arms.  Both feel as though I have lifted weights and are very weak.  Also, the other day one of my legs had an extremely sharp pain shoot up the side of my calf as I was squatting down to do some laundry and my whole leg became so weak I could hardly stand.  I'm desperate for some help or ideas, opinions or anything!!  Thanks!
I'd like to know too what this is.
Hi, yes I also suffer from this condition . First happened about two years ago.  I was tested by a Neurologist at that time (EMG) and he advised that it was Peripheal Neuropophy.  That was when he prescribed Lyrica.  (Did not help.)  My Rheumetologist says that it just goes with Fibro.  I sometimes wonder if anyone really knows what is going on here.  I do know that since I happened across this web site that I feel some better knowing that I am not crazy, lazy, alone or a hypochondriac.  I was beginning to think that I was losing my mind.

I am so sorry that you are going through this as well.  It is encouraging to know that there is now research being done into this condition.  Now maybe that the drug companies are involved we will see some progress.

I do not know what your exams are like but when I see the doctor every six weeks or so he checks my tender/trigger points and wants to know the level of pain.  Why don't they ask you to bend down to pick up something, stoop down, try to open a jar, take a shirt off over your head or lift something then they would see what our lives have become. There is so much that I can no longer do.  I turn 56 tomorrow and I sometimes feel like I am 96.  lol  

I am not telling you to not go through the myriad of test that many doctors will want to run to rule out MS, Lupus, etc.  I have had them all and they all came back negative or normal.  My Rheumetologist finally said no more.  There were EMG's, Mylograms (spelling?), MRI's, CT Scans, Blood Work, Biopsies.  I am tired and broke. And as I look back over this pretty depressed as well.  

I pray that you will find something that will give you relief.  If you do please post it.    
I am going thru a spell of this right now.  Our weather has been very changeable this spring, much colder with rain off and on. I was tested for Arthritis abt 4 years ago and told the tests came back negative.  When I frist started out with symptoms which were much later diagnosed as Fibro, I had problems with pain in my shoulders and arms. Besides painful muscles the skin on my arms and  legs felt sore to touch. This seemed to decrease with time but now my shoulders , arms and hands are aching along withmy spine and feet. I have Type 2 diabetes but was tested for periferal Neuropathy a few years ago and again told at that time I did not have that. Have more recently been diagnosed with Osteopenia and am going to find out results of current Dex tests this Tues.  
   Do you hurt mostly at night?  I can go to bed feeling ok  ( sometimes not ) and wake up 2-3 A.M. and once i move, it starts up.
   I tried 1 Lyrica and decided it was not for me.
                                                                      PJ
Good morning all.  I saw my primary care physician on Wednesday and got some surprising news.  Ladies look into all the medications that you are currently taking.  I too was experiencing pain in my arms, shoulders and legs that felt as if I had been working out for days.  When I spoke to my doctor about this he told me that the medicine I was taking for my Cholesterol, Lipitor, was known for muscle pain.  Great to know I spent $70 plus each month to make myself hurt a little more.  And the night sweats that have had me up numerous times each night can be caused by the Cymbalta.  I am ready to stop taking everything and see what happens.  It can not get any worse.  So please look into all the medicines that you are taking and make sure that there are no side effects that are actually making you worse.  

My doctor is taking me off the Lipitor for four weels to see if the pain subsides.  If not he then wants to consider sending me a "Reputable" Pain Management clinic.  A couple of years ago someone had suggested this to me but I was also told that they would make a Zombie out of me, but my doctor assures me that with a reputable clinic this should not happen.  Like many of you I am sure you are all tired of living with the pain.

Good luck to all.
Thank you all for your advice.  At least I know I am not alone and not crazy like I sometimes feel!!  I have four young children to keep up with and at times I get so frustrated because I feel like I can't.  I'm 30 years old and my body just won't cooperate!!  God bless you all!!!  Have a wonderfully beautiful day!!