Fibro and Sleep Apnea
Hi everyone.  Has anyone heard of a connection between having Fibro and sleep apnea?  I know we Fibro folks suffer from sleep disturbances but this is the first time I've had a doctor apply the apnea to Fibro.  Out of much frustration over  my extreme fatigue, my rheumatologist referred me to a pulmonary specialist to do a sleep study.  He said something I found interesting and had never heard before.  "I've never seen a Fibro patient that doesn't have sleep apnea but not all my apnea patients have Fibro."  Results just came in on the sleep study and I have severe apnea.  I guess I'll give the CPAP machine a try but am worried about how it might bother my face and jaw...having something on it all night long.  Any ideas?
Yes, I have sleep apnea and fibromyalgia along with Type II Diabetes.  I wear the C-Pap nightly.  In fact, it has become like a security blanket in that I have to have it to even take a nap.  My fatigue has not improved.  My sleep patterns are so mixed up.  I have restless leg syndrome and now my arms have the tingling as well.   I have had TMJ surgery x 2 and the C-Pap has not caused any further problems.  I also sleep with a mouth splint.  The C-Pap mask is very light and the straps can be left loose.  I think you should give it a try.
Thanks for your encouragement about wearing the CPap mask. I have an appt. next week to have one fitted but am still sort of dreading it.  I was hoping that it would help this overwhelming fatigue.  I'm at the point that it is getting harder and harder to go to work every day.  My health insurance is through work so I don't see how I could quit.  What do people do when this happens?
My sister has a C-Pap and has gained unbelivable energy.  So I guess it depends on each individual's situation.  I had to quit work on Sept 1 after being at my job (which I absolutely loved) for 12 years. I was missing about 3 days/week and I couldn't keep up with the needs of my clients.   I don't know what I'm going to do.  I pray for guidance.  I am filing for disability but don't know if I will get it.  I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in June 2007.  So it took about a year before I just couldn't work anymore.  I wish you well!