Fibromyalgia Community
Fibro and back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Fibro and back pain

Hi, I am having a terrible time lately with low back pain, almost like in my buttocks and hips.  Sometimes the pain goes down my legs also.  I don't know how to tell if this is from fibro or if it's sciatica or some disc problem.  I never had an MRI on my low back, just the cervical and thoracic (mid back).  I have 2 herniated discs in my neck, but that doesn't even bother me as much as this low back/butt pain.  In the morning, I am so stiff and feel almost like I can't straighten up, then it lessens up a bit, but if I do anything, comes back horrible.  And it's bad at night.

Honestly, I really dread another MRI or orthopedic visit.  I am very claustrophobic and have a terrible time with those MRI's.  My rheumatologist said it could be from fibro or something else.

Anyone else with this problem?
I have had the same problem as you. The pain shoots up the spin, like you said into the butt cheeks & down the leg. Mine lasted about 3 weeks like that & then it decided to move. That is from the FM. I know when I wake up in the morning my whole body feels like it is broken, like someone beat me with a 2x4 all night & I didn't feel it until I woke up in the morning.
Just a quick question. How would you describe your pain, As a sharp burning pain that shoot down your butt or a dull ache that's located in your lower back and butt?

I've had both. I had a bad case of scatia about a year ago and i was in pain everyday. The pain was hot and would shoot down my butt, sometimes I'd feel a little pop just before the pain. My husband and I planned a trip to Washington and New York last summer and I almost didn't go b/c I was afraid of all the walking and my pain. But I decided to make the trip and by the end of the week my flare was gone and I felt great. I honestly think that walking helped heal whatever we going on.

When I have the dull aches there's not much that helps other and heat. Hope this helps
I have herniated disks in my low back that sometimes pinch nerves. I also have sciatica. I also have had shots for the periformis muscle which is in the middle of the butt cheek.  I have shots for all these reasons just in different areas.  I can't always tell which problem is flaring up either.  I have had an MRI done 3 years in a row for low back pain and symptoms in the butt and legs to the feet.  Yes there has been changes but nothing yet to cause need for surgery-so they blame most of the symptoms on the fibromyalgia and scar tissue from L5S1 surgery back in 1985.  It is constant with some worsening pain. I don't believe that the constant pain is the FMS though-it feels just like my pinched nerve in 1984-85. most of it does not move or change. I suggest a lumbar MRI in a closed one (with driver and relaxing meds) because things are seen much easier than in an open MRI.  
Meant all of you.   Pain is burning, numbness, pins & needles, sometimes shooting from back down to the foot or knee area (depends which area the nerve is pinched) Achy too.  If it is a pinched nerve there will be weakness like the reflex will be slow, weak or barely there. Your affected leg or foot will be weak and may give out too.
Hi,,I have Fibro and also have the ever changing pain in my butt,,hips and legs I actually had a real bad night the other night and I kept bending and stretching my leg in differnt directions and it actualy worked and took the pain away.  I have back pain everyday and have been to a chiro and the adjusments worked great it really loosened evrything up,,have you tried one.  Well I hope you can get this pain under control,,have you tried Lyrica
Thank you for all the responses.  My pain is a constant ache and burning, but I also get sharp pains sometimes.  All across my low back or sort of the butt area.  And my hips.  It's not really the back of my leg, it goes down the side of my right leg mostly on the outside of my knee.  But I have osteoarthritis in my knees (right is the worst) so it's hard to tell if it's connected.

I try to exercise, light stuff like swimming, bike and elliptical.  But even that makes it hurt.  Walking is difficult because of my bad knees.  

I guess I could go insist on an MRI, but I hate those things as I'm very claustrophobic!
I also have had this type of pain. my pain was not coming from FMS (but who can tell). I have buldging discs L4 and L5. That was the first MRI. Then, similar pain again, MRI showed ruptured disc with bone fragments pressing on nerves. Surgery was done to remove the fragments. One was lodged on the V where your nerves come from your spinal column and split down both legs. You may have to get a valium or something and have another MRI. I'm so sorry you are hurting so bad. I can empathize. Sometimes that pain even hurts when you breathe. Good luck!!!