Fibromyalgia Community
Fibro and itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Fibro and itching

Hi, i'm about ready to just rip all my skin off due to the itching, I am on hydroxy-zine, which does nothing and my doctor claims that is the only itch med out there, I have tried steroid cream, which makes me itch more......I don't know what to do anymore, and warm weather makes the itching even worse, and I use to worship the sun.....i'm ready to move to the Arctic (seriously), I have been to other doctors who just look at me as though i'm an idiot, and tell me the hydroxyl-zine and steroid cream should be working, i'm getting nowhere, did try a homeopathy pill called "APIS", no help with that either, I quit taking showers as the water whether warm or cold just intensifies it, so I have to use the body "wipes", the itching is so unbearable sometimes that I would like to take a knife and scoop out that area (no I will not due that). I was diagnosed with Fibro in 2008, and my doctor never offered me anything, I stared seeing a new doc last Thursday and she put me on the Lyrica, so we will see what happens there, but I need desperate help with this itching. Any suggestions, please as I would so much appreciate it.
Tags: Itching, fibro
Hi Jules.

Please check the thread under the same title"Fibromyalgia and itchiness",
from June 26, here in this Community.

Hope it helps.

Niko

Hi, welcome. Did the itching start when you started the Lyrica?
Vitamin B complex calms nerves. As I understand it, the skin sensations we get with Fibro are nerve endings acting up. ie: burning, itching, cold water drips, etc.
Aloe Vera gel, also calms these sensations.
Good luck
Hi Jules.

from June 26, here in this Community.

Hope it helps.

Niko

Yeah, I looked at that, unfortunately it was no help. And the itching started way before taking the lyrica.....I'm beginning not to even care anymore, maybe a handful of pills is the best option at this point.........Oh well, it was worth a try to ask again....ty
Hey Jules!

It takes time to experience improvement.
I understand that it is very frustrating to deal with this
on an ongoing basis. Unfortunately there`s no silver bullet.

I suspect that there`s a significant stress component,
which may be contributing to your problem.
Prolonged stress can  lead to ``run-away`` type of inflammatory response
initiated by the immune system, in the presence of something offensive.
If you want an analysis on how this works, let me know.

One approach that I have used that has worked in some similar situations
was an Energy Medicine procedure called `The Spinal Meridian  Release
Procedure`
When combined with EFT tapping, the effectiveness is greater.
You would need another person to perform this procedure and it would be helpful if you also learn the EFT (emotional freddom technique) basic application. The manual should be available for free-or it was last time I checked last year. At the basic level, it is rather easy to learn and it only takes a few minutes.
If interested, I will look for a copy of the Spinal meridian Release technique
procedure. it`s fairly straight forward, but you need to do a couple practice runs first.
I can use MedHelp`s message app. to send it to you. let me know.

Just don`t give in to questionable aproaches, but definitely don`t give up.
You are stronger than what you thing. Really
! It`s just that nasty annoying or painful  chronic symptoms, play havoc both with one`s mind and emotions.

If there`s anything else you want to add or ask , post again or message me,
but please let me know about  this procedure, so I can send it to you, if you decide to give it a try.

Note that this is not intended as a substitute for medical advice.

Wishing you well!
Niko
I was wondering if you ground up a cup of oatmeal and took a 1/2 hour bath if that would help.  It works for poison ivy anyhow. ???  It might be worth a try.
Apis is for pain and does nothing for itching.  Sorry you found out the hard way.  I tried Benedryl and Hydroxizine and it didn't touch my itch either.  Chlorphenaramine works better for me.  And I also drink Swedish bitters (1 tsp. in 8 oz. of water) which calm the itch.  I also make sure I take Probiotics every day.  - Some things can't be cured from the outside...

You might also try Elderberry - it's like a natural antihistimine.

Hope these home remedies work for you.

Best wishes
I wanted to offer a suggestion to you that I found out by accident. I've had crazy itching all over for as long as i can remember and my doctors would just say its contact dermititis and just tell me to use moisturizer.

When I got pregnant with my son I started using Dreft laundry detergent for his baby clothes and mine too. It is recommend for their sensitive skin. It was the first time ever that my itching was gone.

I discovered that after he got a bit older and I went back to the cheaper detergents that I started itching again and figured out my itching was due to something in the cheaper detergents I was using.

I did some research and found out about  all the chemicals that are in common detergents and decided to use dreft when I could but since it was so expensive I tried to find cheaper alternatives with less harsh chemicals or dyes.

My itching is so much better now and I am glad that I discovered by accident that it was the laundry detergents causing my severe itching. When I use regular detergent  I totally notice the different. I tried soap nuts too but ended up being allergic to those.

My advice is to try out different laundry soaps and see which ones agree with your skin.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.
  Thank you for your experience.  I switched from Tide to Wisk and noticed a difference... guess I'll switch from Wisk to Borax  next.
      I also cannot even touch a dishrag that has Dawn on it. (Mom uses Dawn) - my skin itches then cracks when I touch Dawn.   :(    too many chemicals.