Fibromyalgia Community
Fibro waxing and waning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Fibro waxing and waning

It wasn't too long ago that I thought myself cured of this damn fibromyalgia. I have been pain free for about 6 months. Then all of a sudden about 3 weeks ago my one shoulder started freezing up. Then the other and headaches. Then my spine, wrists and fingers. Now its in my knees calves and ankles. And lets not forget the IBS. Not much left except I'm in pain and exhausted but have no time to rest coz my Mom is undergoing radiation treatment for Breast Cancer so it's go, go, go. When time comes to rest I'm too sore to relax. Am I the only nut pushing thru. What can I take for pain that will make me rest. The bod is finished.
I have tried lots of ,medication along with acupuncture, pain laser, massage therapy,  and all the above. What has only helped me is the medication Noco, and a light exercise. Treadmill and bike to start 10 min at the beginning and build it up from there. Hope this info helps.
I highly recommend SAVELLA....check with your Dr about getting a Rx for this med.
I know there are lots of controversial arguments against this script, but there are those same arguments about just about EVERYTHING!  

Taking Savella has made it easier to get through the day and not to mention the constant fatigue!  The constant pain has decreased and I don't feel like I'm pulling myself out of bed EVERYDAY!  The improvement in how I feel has definitely been worth suffering through the first couple of weeks of odd side effects.

All of the stress you have in your life with your Mom's illness is probably contributing to your increased pain.  Stress is a big factor in when and why I have flare-ups.  While you can't control the situation, your body is reacting in a negative way. (HUGS)

Best of luck to you and your mother....
I just started Savella about 3 weeks ago, how long before you saw a difference? I posted today about some pain I am having but didn't mention the knee pain - I don't know whether they are fibro pain or not and am wondering if the Savella should be helping that. I have had very little side effects of the Savella. I am on 50mg 2x a day. Thanks!
I began to see improvement in the 'brain fog' and excessive fatigue after a week of taking it.  
I had lots of trouble getting use to the excessive sweating, but that stopped after about 6-8 weeks and now that I've been on it for almost 4 months, I feel soooooo much better, I'm a little afraid to say that outloud! LOL

Savella does help with my pain, but my Dr also gave me some anti-inflammatories to take for some really bad hip pain I was experiencing.  I think once the inflammation was gone, the Savella has helped to keep the pain from coming back.  (that's strictly my unofficial diagnosis! LOL)   I still have days that I hurt 'all over', but for me it's just a day or two once a month or so... NOT EVERYDAY like it was.  
Thank you vintagechicken(love the name)! I am glad to know this, do you mind telling me how much you take? I haven't had any sweating so lucky there I guess. I will ask my doctor about anti-inflammatories too, when I see her for my shoulder and knee pain next week. Thank you!
I take 25mg a day.  
However, the Dr prescribes 50 mg 2x day because that is the cheapest way for my insurance to pay for it and less out of pocket expense for me.

The first couple of months, I took 25mg 2x a day, but I am so sick of taking pills and I really didn't notice any marked improvement with the extra dose at night, so I just take 25 mg (cut the 50mg in half) once a day in the mornings, and I seem to do fine.

This med is definitely one that reacts differently for everyone and once you find your 'magic' dose, you will never want to go without it!

Good luck!
thank you again for responding. It is nice to know that you are on 25mg a day and feel better with it. They started me out slow on a starter pack and it went up to 50mg 2x a day so I took it. I could probably take less. I will give it the full month!!! Thanks for all your help!
I started with the same starter pack and worked my way up.
When I got to the full 50mg at a time I noticed a huge increase in heart palpatations, and my Dr had already told me that I could adjust the dose as I felt the need.

Also something to consider, the Savella is really on 'working in your system' for 6-8 hours - so you may want to take a smaller dose after the 8 hours is up from the first dose?  I hope that makes sense?? LOL
I haven't noticed any heart palpitation but had read about that. I have heart disease so when I read it, I wasn't thrilled, but don't have any yet. I see my primary next week about my knee and shoulder so will ask her then about taking half doses.

Yes, it does make sense, and you don't know how much you have helped me. I really really appreciate it!

Colleen
you need help with your mom's treatment schedule! i dare say you are as sick as she is, or sicker! fibro is such a dangerous illness because it's invisible and largely untestable. i hate to sound cold but your workload and stress has to be reduced. i know - there is so much emotional and personal energy tied up in radiation and family, but if someone else can share the workload, please find them! i am real bummed for you that you had been symptom-free for a while and that it's returned!
take care