Fibromyalgia Community
Fibromyalgia Pain and Morphine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Fibromyalgia Pain and Morphine

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome over 7 years ago. My dr. started out with the lowest pain med (Ultram) and then we worked from there until something helped. At this point in time, I have been taking morphine sulfate extended relief (100mg) 2 x's daily. I also take morphine sulfate instant relief (30 mg) x2 for break through pain and flare-ups. I have had two episodes of severe withdrawal (forgot to take or other reasons) and had to go to the emergency room and receive 2 doses of dilaudid till my morphine kicked in again. I am not an addict but obviously my body is dependent on the morphine. I want to get off the morphine so bad! My dr said he didn't mind helping me taper off, but also advised me he didn't think I would be successful as he has had numerous patients try and they had to return to it. It has been the only thing that worked and he doesn't think anything less will treat my chronic pain. I am desperate for an answer! Is there anything non-narcotic equivalent to the morphine?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Morphine is a highly effective narcotic pain reliever .In most cases where an alternative drug of morphine is sought it is important to evaluate prior medical history and any previous effects of morphine. In many cases, adverse reactions are related to dosing rather than the drug itself. Few strong non narcotic pain relievers are neurofen, ketorolac etc.It is best to consult a doctor before starting any medication. Keep me posted.
Take care and regards!