Fibromyalgia Community
Fibromyalgia and Lactic acid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Fibromyalgia and Lactic acid

I have a theory that Fibromyalgia is caused by build up of Lactic Acid that somehow our body cannot break down properly or in adequate time it is produced when broken down by the liver. Perhaps an inborn metabolic error.  I noticed that when I do any physical labor, and it need not be strenuous, the next day I can barely move.  Something as simple as painting my bedroom kept me nearly bedridden with tight muscles and burning pain.  My muscles from head to toe felt like it was wrapped all night in rubberbands. It always takes approx 3 days to recooperate from any physical labor. People produce lactic acid when using muscle energy. When we overuse the muscle, lets say like someone who runs too long, develop muscle pain, cramps, spasms, burning etc. That is the lactic acid our bodies produce. When we rest, the levels are decreased by the liver. Usually within a short time frame the levels return to normal. I wonder if after a days a physical labor, regardless of what it is, even raking leaves for instance, could lactic acid levels be taken that day, and every day that the person feels the fibro pain. I also have vitiligo and some research is showing that to have something to do with pyruvic acid, which is a byproduct of metabolic breakdown. So that leads me to believe that Fibromyalgia is a metabolic error in the breakdown of these acids.  Any opinions? Professional or otherwise
I have ME/CFS and what you describe sounds so similar to PEM (post exertional malaise). I had testing done at the Pacific Fatigue Lab in Ca, and they did say that the burning is a lactic acid response, and that ME/CFS sufferers, for some reason, should never do aerobic exercise as we build up lactic acid, unlike other people who can maintain low levels of aerobic exercise for long periods. Since fibro and ME/CFS seem so closely related, I suspect it is a similar problem.
Thanks for responding. They do sound similar.  I found many doctors stating exercise will help with the fibromyalgia pain. But it sounds like it would feel worse. So like aerobic exercises like running, swimming, walking would not benefit but actually make us feel worse? It sounds like we can't tolerate long exercises like 30-60 min ones because we have increase lactic acids levels. And thats what doctors always suggests. Anaerobic exercises, one that do not need oxygen is like a few second sprint, running up stairs, or weight training. Very interesting. It starts to make sense to me why the longer I use the muscles, the worse I feel. I never heard of post exertional malaise but I will look that up.  Did you see a rhematologist to be diagnosed?
In my search for answers I've seen the lactic acid issue mentioned.  It was suggested that when starting any kind of exercise that we start very slowly and then slowly work up.  Some people can only handle a minute to start.   Easy on our bodies exercises like walking and swimming are the best for us.  We need to look at how athletes handle their exertion.  Stretching is the best thing and then utilizing heat &/or ice on our muscles can help.  We must be aware of our limitations.  I think all of us are guilty of overdoing it on a good day only to pay for it dearly.
In my (limited) understanding, I believe that gradually increasing exercise is recommended for FM, but it is the opposite for ME/CFS. ME/CFS is all about pacing, keeping heart rate down, etc. I don't know if this fits your experience, but I liked this article
http://www.hetalternatief.org/CAA%20artikelenserie%20post-exertional%20malaise%202010%202.pdf
Well, its been a year since the original post. Any good news - lactic acid wise?

I'm looking  into lactic acid and muscle pain relations as I have Hashimoto (autoimmune low thyroid) and always had muscle pain after exercise that took days to heal. This always bothered me since ive been somewhat athletic all my life. Continuous light exersise helps as maintenance to prepare for more major exercise. But its a fine line between enough and to much. Like you I also have vitaligo. Now that I finally have my thyroid symptoms under control, its evident that I still have some abnormal muscle tightness.

I did learn trigger point therapy or (myfascial muscle release), which helps relieve but not prevent the tightness. I do that mornings and night when needed. It helps a lot.

I had no idea you could get lactic acid tested - that's one thing I need to do. I read that sodium bicarbonate lessons the lactic acid - what body builders use sometimes. - I cant take that with thyroid med though, and no one should on a regular basis.
I just read that lactic acid build up causes fibro fatigue. The best remedy is moderate exercise. When you feel the burn from the lactic acid, it is time to stop.

Google "foods to prevent lactic acid build up."

Anything that interests me now a days is more on the natural side.