Fibromyalgia Community
Fibromyalgia and surgery recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Fibromyalgia and surgery recovery

I had laproscopic gallbladder surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. Before the surgery, I had intense and constant pain in my right rib cage that radiated to my back and right shoulder. It was my prayer that after the surgery, this pain would be greatly improved or gone. I have suffered from fibromyalgia for over 15 years. I have never before had any type of surgery or general anesthesia. Unfortunately, I am continuing to experience constant, aching, debilitating pain in my right rib cage post-op. My doctors say that the pain will "go away", and is to be expected. But, I begin to wonder if it is true. For those of you who have had a similar procedure, how does fibromyalgia complicate the recovery process? How long did it take you to recover, and did you experience similar symptoms? I had no idea how difficult the recovery would be, I am just ready to feel better!!! Could the pain be from the gas that was used to inflate my abdomen for surgery? How big do they expand your abdomen? Could this cause the ribs to displace/dislocate? So many questions..just looking for help. Thank you!
Hi Christy and welcome to the forum.

A few observations.

1. The surgery may have been unnecessary.
Over a third of laparoscopic gallbladder surgeries result in continued abdominal pain symptoms.
Along with your pain issues, if you had any other digestive symptoms, you may have  had a problem with digesting fats and therefore by removing the gallbladder, the regulator of fat processing, it may have made things worse.
You may still be able to address your issues, but it would take a very careful and holistic approach. Let me know if this is the case, I can give you details.  
2. Surgery complications such as injury to the common bile duct- the most prevalent  in this type of surgery as visibility is not as good as in open surgery. (not that I favor open surgery, as a matter of fact I don't favor any!)
3. Recovery may take a long time.

I have no personal experience with this, but I had 2 friends, who both ended up with complications after gallbladder removal.

I hope you were given post- surgery recommendations. This is important
to maintain proper digestion and avoid further problems.
If not, let me know, I can send you some info on that, or you can do some research on your own.

I hope this helps, but please note that this is not a substitute for medical advice.

Love and Light
Niko

Both my sisters had gallbladder removal and they went back to work after a week. They feel great....No issues..

.Now I myself have had many surgeries in the past and the gas they fill your belly up with does cause gas/air pains.

If you continue to hurt please go back to your surgeon. I just had a full hysterectomy and I did not have any issues healing or any more pain then what I expected. I was only out a week from work.

FM did make any difference to me in the pain I felt or in how I healed.