Fibromyalgia Community
Fibromyalgia came back.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Fibromyalgia came back.

After several years without fibromyalgia affecting me. had knee surgery in Dec.  Followed by more pain than I expected.  After about a month began to have fibromyalgia symptoms.  Now at 3 months, fibro has taken over my body.  I have to do required exercises & stretched, but have pain in my muscles after even a short period of exercise.  How can I deal with this?

I developed fibromyalgia after enduring a battle to stay alive after having Pseudomonas and osteomyletis , from having a heel spur removed.  I was on 7 IV infusions per day of what my dr called, "Kill or cure" antibiotics.  I endured this for 9 months at which time the latest biopsies were clear.  At this time both the surgeon, (did 3 osteo surgeries ) & the Infection Disease Dr.  told me, that they didn't have hope I would survive. But I did & instead of improving I paid the price required for surviving 9 months of extreme stress.  I began having strange symptoms - insomnia, extreme fatigue  
I had pain everywhere in my body.  How could that be, I was too fatigued to exercise.  I also thought I was losing my mind.  I developed hard lumps in my muscles - found out they were trigger points.  My
Doctor concluded I had stress induced Fibromyalgia.  

I tried all the ineffective meds, tried to exercise and the pain in my muscles quickly stopped that plan.  I tried more useless prescriptions.  My case was like most fibro patients - frustration complicated with pain, fatigue and inability to remember anything.  Through the years I retried this formula but bit by bit, I could do exercise for a few minute, every other day.  After years of slowing increased exercise, I began feeling better.  After a few more years, I thought fibromylgia (fibromyalgia) was gone - cured, never to bother me again.  But I was wrong.  I had a Total Knee Replacement surgery 3 months ago.  The pain was much more than I expected, and for 2 months I felt I was living in a pain filled world.  And, again, I restarted insomnia, pain in every place in my body.  

When I tried to do the exercises necessary to rehab my knee, the pain was greater than I could stand, and I had all these strange things happening to me.  My physical Therapist recognized the symptoms as Fibro, and expressed it to me.  At first I doubted, then old fibro memories of how I felt came back to me, and I had to admit he was right.  Again, a stressful experience had reactivated Fibromyalgia.  

So here I am, having all the symptoms the rest of you do, and the pain of exercise needed to rehab my knee has delayed or stopped my recovery.  

Has anyone else had a repeat bout of fibro after being free from it for several years.  Is it as bad, as it was the first time.  I think it is just as difficult as it was the first time - Only I am much older, and wonder if I still have the determination to exercise enough to put the Fibro back into a dormant state?