Fibromyalgia Community
Fibromyalgia or Not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Fibromyalgia or Not?

I'm 28 years old and shortly after having a baby about 10 months ago, I started having medical problems.  It started with back pain and upper abdominal pain.  Then my foot and head started tingling.  Then the headaches and body aches began.  Next came the pelvic pain, stiffness, and sore muscles.  I have random tender spots from head to toe.  The pain is sometimes achy, sometimes sharp, sometimes my body is tender to touch.  Several months into all of this my bladder started working overtime.  Now I even have trouble walking or getting up from sitting in the floor because I feel so stiff.  When I wake up in the morning I feel absolutely horrible.  It takes every ounce of energy to get out of bed some days.  Over the last 10 months I have been to my GP half a dozen times.  I've seen three neurologists, my gynocologist, and even a rheumatologist several times.  I also tried seeing a chiropractor with no results.  I have had CT scans, MRI's, x-rays, ultrasounds, and bloodwork more times than I can count.  The doctors have ruled out Lupus, MS, brain tumors, ovarian cysts, and all chronic inflammatory disorders.  Here is the delimma: My rheumatologist said that all my symptoms point to Fibromyalgia except for the fact that most (about 90%) of my symptoms are on the right side of my body.  The pelvic pain is not specific to the right side and I do have some aches and pains on the left side of my body but I mostly hurt on the right side.  Has anyone out there that has been diagnosed with FM had a similar experience?  I am desparate to get a diagnosis so that I can start some sort of treatment.  At this point, I feel like I am going to die before the doctors give me a diagnosis.  It is extremely frustrating to have no answer.  Could this be FM even though my symptoms seem to be predominately one sided? HELP...my kids need their mom back.  

Welcome aboard  ! Since your pain is on one side of the body, have your neurologists ruled out the possibility that you've had a stroke ?

I can tell you that I have met many woman online who have had health issues after giving childbirth. I hope that you will stick around... I know one woman who is getting treated this time for her postpartum health issues. She doesn't have a diagnosis, but is getting treated.
The last neurologist that I saw ruled out a stroke.  Based on the bloodwork, lumbar puncture, and MRI, she is certain that my central nervous system is "healthy".  I have also seen my gynocologist twice and all the tests that she has run have been normal so she doesn't feel that the pregnancy/postpartum recovery has anything to do with what is going on.  

I need to run now, but I think I can hook you up with some women who are going through the same thing. I know two of them met in the EBV forum about 6 months to a year ago.

I can tell you that there is treatment available for your neuro-immune systems. If you would like more information... I would certainly be willing to send you the links. You can print out the information and give it to your doctor.

oops --- in a rush.

"systems" = symptoms    ; ^ )
Lyme disease can cause all of those symptoms.  My symptoms are all over but the neuro symptoms were mostly on the left side of my body.  All my tests were normal too so I got the fibro diagnosis.  I have improved considerably from antibiotic treatment.
I've been reading about Lyme and some articles state that if the disease was not caught in the early stages, the treatment with a stretch of antibiotics isn't considered to be effective.  Once the treatment period is done the individual will still have symptoms.  How did your physician determine that it was Lymes?  Are you still on the antibiotics?   What type of improvements have you noticed thus far?  

I pray you will stay with us for some time as I would really like to hear how you are faring a few months from now.