Fibromyalgia Community
Fibromyalgia worsened by ovulation and menstration?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 and a half years ago. I am now seeing a pattern in the days that I have overwhelming pain. My very worst days are the few right before my period, and the day or two when I ovulate.
I wonder if hormone levels could be affecting the serotonin and pain reducing chemicals in my body. Perhaps menstration could be related to stress, but how then would ovulation make one more stressed, wakeful, etc?
Is this anyone else's experience? Fibromyalgia is a challenge, but on those 4 or 5 days per month, there is no quality of life. Could we assume that these spikes in my fibro pain might cease at menopause?  (I am 51)
I am untreated right now, due to lack of medical insurance.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain sensitivity may change during the menstrual period and hence the perception of increased pain. Fibromyalgia patients may also experience an increase in mood swings and dysmenorrhea, menstrual pain strong enough to disrupt day-to-day activities. Women whose fibromyalgia symptoms worsen during their menstrual periods experience a steadier pattern of fibromyalgia symptoms after menopause, though not necessarily a lessening of them.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you so much for responding.
I appreciate your encouragement.
YES! Funny you should mention it. At this moment, I am in severe pain.  It seems to come along with ovulation about 2 weeks before menstruation. I look at moon patterns, food patterns, flouride in water, chem trails.. all that.  I don't think I'm crazy, I think the pain and desperation is driving me crazy.  My doctors are worthless overpaid bums that shuffle me from specialist to specialist so they can bill my insurance. Meditation, staying active, staying positive, eating healthy... AINT WORKIN.. They are just mental bandaids to cope with the fact that I will be in different degrees in pain forever.  Plan for it.
You are right.  2-3 days prior I have severe insomnia and that's with Ambien.  My pain is worse.  Then the fatigue from the sleeplessness and pain cause a rut.  I'm almost 50 and was hoping menopause would stop all of that.  No menopause yet and I thought when I was younger it started way before 50.  Never thought I would be happy to get a period but it sure helps once it begins.  I hope once menopause hits this whole cycle will stop.