Fibromyalgia Community
First Rheumy Dr appt, need advice?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

First Rheumy Dr appt, need advice?

I've been experiencing pain for a few years now and it's progressively got worse since having my last baby 1 year ago. My GP done blood tests for RA and the Rheumatoid Factor came back high. He referred me onto Rheumy Dr to get a diagnosis. I'm not convinced it's RA, I'm leaning towards FM because my symptoms are more consistent with FM than RA.

Just want some advice on how to handle myself in the appointment. I have 3 young children 8, 5 and 1. I need to get onto the right track for them, so they can have a better, more mobile mummy.
Many times, RA coincides with Fibro. I have both. My rheumatologist put me on Methotrexate (i give myself weekly injection), Tramodal and Relafin. If you don't want the injections, perhaps you could try Lyrica or Cymbalta. I had to change meds often because my tolerance is wacky. Now I am on Cymbalta and Xanax, as needed, for sleep.
Don't be afraid to ask questions! You are your own health advocate. With 3 kids, you don't want meds that'll make you feel groggy or doped up. Tramodal did not affect my alertness, but Xanax is too much for me to take during the day...knocks me right out. But SLEEP...GOOD DEEP SLEEP is VITAL. I wish you much luck at your appt!
Hello,  I have been where you are.  Its been about 19 yrs since i was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.  Many times had a positive RF.  But  not all persons that test positive have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  Make sure you make and take a list of every symptom you are experiencing even if you don't feel it is related.  By exam and possible xrays the Rheumatologist should be able to make a proper diagnosis.  Even after your appt.  monitor your joints in your hands and if there are changes that you see going on within 6 mos or a year, go back to be evaluated again.  best wishes.