Fibromyalgia Community
Flu viruses becoming resistant to Tamiflu

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

A disturbing article in USA Today about how Tamiful resistant influenza A viruses are now spreading across the country:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-03-02-fluvirus-Tamifluresistant_N.htm
Tags: Tamiflu
One has to question why all of these viruses are becoming resistant.  New strains?  Why isn't the CDC up-to-date on this problem?
I have found it to be true that keeping your vitamin D levels up will really help the most with cold and flu viruses.  Vitamin D deficiency is actually in plague proportions in much of the world, even when people live in sub-tropics, because people avoid going in the sun.  Now, I am one of those people, because I have always been one who burns easily, but taking natural vitamin D3 in high enough doses will actually help boost and maintain vitamin D levels.  My vitamin D originally tested dangerously low, but I eventually got it up to low normal and have been able to steer clear of cold and flu viruses for the first time I can remember.  A good place to get vitamin D3 at a high enough dose for a reasonable price can be found at this link:  http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SW1030/ItemDetail?n=4294967184  It's even often on sale for less than this.  The RDA of vitamin D is too low for people, especially in the winter time.  Here is a list of articles talking about vitamin D and how important it is for your immune system:  http://search.mercola.com/Results.aspx?q=vitamin%20D&k=vitamin%20D  He talks about adults needing to take 4,000 mg of vitamin D3 everyday during the winter time, but once my vitamin D levels were up to low normal, my naturopath told me to go to 2,000 mg.  Taking the 4,000 mg everyday while your vitamin D levels are too low will raise your vitamin D levels.  My guess for why my naturopath had me drop down to 2,000 mg everyday is because 4,000 mg everyday will continue to raise the vitamin D levels and having too high of vitamin D levels is just as bad as having too low of vitamin D levels.  It took me nearly a year to raise my vitamin D levels to low normal, though, and since most people are deficient, 4,000 mg is probably fine for most people to take.  But, the key is getting the vitamin D levels tested regularly.  So, one should probably start with 2,000 mg everyday, since that's the maintenance dose, then be sure to get tested as soon as possible.

I know from my own experience how important this is, and I know about the vitamin D deficiency epidemic.  I also know how much more important vitamin D levels are for CFS/FMS patients and anyone else dealing with auto-immune problems.  Mine was so low that the test almost couldn't even measure it.  That's downright dangerous!