Fibromyalgia Community
Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) For Fibromyalgia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Has the drug Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) worked for Fibromyaglia pain within a few days of taking this medication for the horrible pain from the Fibro?

I was put on Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) yesterday by my doctor for my Fibromyalgia Condition in addition to the Norco 7.5/325 I can take up to 4 pills day as needed for the massive pain I'm in.  I was really wondering how effective Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) is for Fibro purely because I'm supposed to take it at night, and upon waking the next morning for the first time in so long I can't remember it didn't feel like a big rig or a sky scrapper was laying on my spine right below and in-between my shoulder blades.  It felt weird for it to work so fast.  I was very skeptical it would help!!!!  I have gotten used to just existing in pain.  In fact, the Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) hasn't 'eliminated' the pain at all.  But it has toned it down sufficiently to be more tolerable.  I still hurt and am tender in my muscles....and my joints.  But after just one dose, it sincerely felt dramatically better.  My question is simply, can Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) work very fast?  Has anyone else experienced the release of an amazing relief from certain parts of debilitating pain. (if not all).  Has anyone experienced this from this drug?  I'd very much like to know.  Sincerely, Danie
I too was put on gabapentin this past week. Seems like it has helped some but I was to take cymbalta with it at night before bed. I have always been afraid of the cymbalta becaue it seems so hard to get off of. I also have Hep C and I worry about my liver. Most of my pain is in my lower back and hips and it is getting worse. I still have to start Cymbalta but I think I will tonight. I am so wanting some relief. Wish I could tell you more. Maybe we can some feedback from someone who has been on it longer.
Cymbalta made me nuts, stayed on for a month.  Now on pain meds. Neurontin did nothing.
I have been on Neurontin since 1999.  I remember when I first started taking it I would not remember at all what had happen recently.  I lost my short term memory and every time we had to up the dose( because you get so used to it so fast it become ineffective), the same effect would happen.  I am now on 3600mg/day.  that's the highest it can go.
But Neurontin has it long term effect.  For example my memory is terrible, I became dyslexics and I feel I am just not the sharpest tool in the shed.  but when I remember the pain I went through for 4 yrs before I was tried on Neurontin I feel it was all worth it.
Hi Danie.

Gabapentin, works in 33% of Fibromyalgia or Neurpopathic pain  sufferers for notable pain reduction, but, 67% of these people will also suffer from its side-effects.

If you take away the placebo effect, from the true pain reduction effect,
then the risk/benefit assessment, makes it an easier decision not to take it, when better options exist.

If you do the math, only one in nine from the patients will benefit from it, without side effect consequences.

Gabapentin was originally a synthetic chemical composition designed to mimic the neurotransmitter GABA and based on this fact alone, you may want to ask your doctor for a neurotransmitter assessment (you cannot ask for a test for GABA deficiency as these tests are reserved for pharmaceutical research to develop psyche meds and anti-depressants).
If the assessment indicates you may have a GABA deficiency, then you can either try Gabapentin, or even better try GABA natural supplementation and see how that works for you.
Must take on an empty stomach (250mg daily is the recommended dose by most health practitioners and there are no known dependency issues)
Please do your own research for this, and also note that my comments
are not intended as a substitute for medical advice.

There are other things that can be done, so just let me know if you're interested.

Best wishes.
Niko
it worked for me to also just as fast but after taking it for 2 yrs it just stopped working for me , I hope u have better luck then I did
I take cymbalta for the pain in my hips. I find it works relatively well. My pain levels have calmed co siderably
I worry about the cymbalta with hep c. I have heard many times it should not be taken with liver disease. I have no luck with anti depressants seems like, but if Cymbalta would not make my hep c worse I would try it. Of course my doc says it is not going to hurt unless you have cirrhosis. I do not think I do but I am not for sure!
Hi truredhead.

Hmm, you could try this, but your liver enzymes must be monitored
frequently, and as soon as they get elevated substantially, cymbalta should be discontinued immediately.
Something to discuss with specialist perhaps.

If you give me all your medical details, I can give you my opinion on
a benefit/risk assessment regarding your medical condition(s) and symptoms and possible treatment with cymbalta.

Best wishes.

Niko
I have chronic back pain and want to know if lycra has narcotics in it