Fibromyalgia Community
H1N1?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

H1N1?

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone with Fibro has had the flu shot and if so ,any reactions?
Hey I had mine a couple of weeks ago, i'm fine now but I felt really really bad for a couple of days.  Felt like I had full blown flu and I was really tired.

Dont know if anyone else has had the same?
This was a hard one for me and my family. I get very sick every November and December.  I had the flu shot and was sick on and off for 2 weeks, really sick and sore for a good week.  I will not have the H1N1.  In my area they had a story on excessive high levels of mercury.  The medical director in our area stated there are excessively high levels however that out weighs the risks of getting it.  So for today and tomorrow that might be true.  
But for 5, 10, 15 years down the road and being an FM person I am not willing to risk further damage to my immune system, or give my body any other reasons to bring on early dementia.  There are a list of long term possible side effects from high levels of mercury and given my compromised immune system from FM, I have a difficult time fighting things off normally I don't want to add to it.  
Pediatricians in our area are advising moms not to give this vaccination to their children. So I think there is something to it.  Young moms today and I'm not so sure I agree but my 2 nieces for example have not immunized their babies.  The thinking today is through breast milk and proper foods a child's immunity is built up on their own.  So I try to do that as well. I try to eat the right things, take supplements. I notice when I eat a little too much sugar, or breads I start getting sick with colds, or congestion. So I really limit sugars and bad carbs.  That's helped me a lot this year, I've not had bronchitis or pneumonia this year and that is a first.  
In saying this I don't have any other underlying disease like heart disease or diabetes. So you really want to check with your doc on that.  My husband has diabetes and we decided he will not get the H1NI. We are just working on keeping his immune system very strong.  But this is such a personal decision and I wish you the best.
I had the H1N1 shot and I've been fine, no side effects at all other than a sore arm for a couple of days...i'm glad I've had it as it gives me peace of mind knowing I won't get the illness now.