Has anyone been diagnosed after a car accident?
I was in a car accident in January of 2013 and still in pain everyday, either my neck,back, hips, or shoulders. I've gone for X-rays, chiropractor for months, to a pain dr. who wants to do injections, nobody wants to do an MRI so I'm insisting tomorrow to rule out major things, I do have spurring in my neck but X-rays are otherwise normal.
How should I approach my dr. About fibro? My mom has it, can it be genetic?
     Fibromyalgia can be caused by trauma, stress, an illness, PTSD, or fever.  And yes, it can run in families.
      Fibromyalgia should be suspected by the pcp when the pt has widespread pain for more than 3 months.  There are trigger/tender points in the same places on both sides of the body.
       Wrists, ankles, neck, shoulders, elbows, buttocks, knees are the most common.  Also migraine headaches and stomach issues such as IBS.  Muscle spasms are also common.
      With Fibromyalgia the nerves are in fight or flight mode consistently.  This puts strain on the muscles and the rest of the body resulting in unrestorative sleep.  (You wake up feeling like you didn't sleep and ache all over. Can hardly get out of bed)
     The pain is pretty much constant but there are good days and bad days.  On the good days you have what you will consider to be "normal" pain.  On bad days we call it a flare or flare up.  Those days the pain becomes excruciating and unbearable and you need extra pain medication.

I hope this information helps you - talk to your doctor if you feel this way.

Wishing you the best,  Silverfox
Hi Brunetteshavefun2,

I think I can relate to what you're going through, as I have had 2 events
like yours, both involving horrific  accidents (1 car/bike and 1 car/car.)
It's a miracle that today I'm still alive and...well. You wouldn't be able to detect anything wrong with me today if you'd see me in person and yet then, they had me as dead BOTH times!
I have to be thankful to the Higher Power that kept me alive and also gave me the strength and wisdom to overcome all the physical, mental and emotional issues associated with accidents of such devastation.

So my opinion is, if you were in reasonably good health before the accident, you are likely suffering something like PTSD,in addition to any
physical trauma.
Fibromyalgia is a possibility as well, but you must meet the new dx criteria
and this is best left to a rheumatologist, the specialst to dx FMS properly.
The accident can act as a triggering factor to undelying pathogenic infectious conditions such as pathogenic mycoplasma, associated with
Fibromyalgia, CFS, ALS and many other serious & chronic conditions.

Should it be anything like PTSD, lab tests and MRIs won't be enough to either dx or treat this properly.
I find that Energy medicine based therapy works better than CBT with faster

Sorry, submitted accidentally.
...with faster results.

Let me know about symptoms before your accident, if any, or if you have any questions

Please note that this is not intended as a substitute for medical advice.

Love & Light