Fibromyalgia Community
Help Fibro!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Help Fibro!

Just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in February 2013.  Other "ailments" are:  Chronic widespread pain, Major Fatigue, Insomnia, Hypothyroid, bulging disc at c5&c6, menopause, interstitial cystitis (repaired 1993), uterine prolapse/rectocele (repaired 2008), Hiatal Hernia/GERD, High Blood Pressure, anxiety/depression and allergies.  Phew!  Oh, AND I'm only 45!  Okay, I am having a hard time accepting the Fibro diagnosis, does anyone know if any of the above can cause similar issues?  I take meds for most of those and all those "helpful" people out there (my family and friends) who don't have anything wrong with them insist its all my meds causing these issues.  What do you think?
Hi Fibromom45.

Indeed you are young, too young to have all these conditions.
Hmm, I'm wondering if you hypothyroid has not been addressed
properly over the years. Because of the hundreds of possible symptoms
and the fact that blood tests for thyroid hormones are not necessarily
indicative of thyroid function inside the cells, anything is possible.

My opinion is that low thyroid should be treated according to symptoms
and thyroid function monitored by basal temperature taking.
Something I mention often and worth repeating here, is to do the
Dr Barnes Basal Temperature test on your own, so you will know how effective your treatment is. If the test shows you're still hypo, then you must address this before looking into anything else.
Just make sure you do the test properly as instructed and that you don't have any infection at the time of testing. Just look it up or if you want
I can send the information. It is quite simple and easy.
Should you be still hypo, would explain a lot of your symptoms and issues.
This unfortunately happens routinely to a lot of hypothyroid people.
Undiagnosis, underdiagnosis & misdiagnosis resulting in undertreatment
or worse, wrong treatment is common.

The other possible discrepancy, if you have not been actually tested positive for  Hyperchlorhydria (high stomach acid), GERD symptoms
are almost identical with LOW stomach acid. So this has to be checked thoroughly because if your treatmnet is opposite of what you need, the consequenses can be serious.

Please post again.

Best wishes.
Love & Light
Niko
Thank you for your post.  I have been wondering the same about my Thyroid and will definitely take your advice on the Basel Temp test.  Could you explain more about the GERD comment about low vs. high stomach acid?  And what that would mean as far as symptoms go?  I can't tell you how much it means to me to have someone care enough to respond to a stranger with help and understanding.  Been feeling so alone and sick.  You've made my day!  Fibromom45
Low stomach acid and GERD is linked like this:
Low stomach acid is responsible for many conditions (it could also relate to low thyroid issues as adequate levels of gastric acid is needed to absorb iron, zinc, selenium, B12 and other nutrients vital for thyroid function) which may cause higher intra-abdominal pressure pressing onto the lower esophageal sphincter allowing minute quantities of stomach acid to enter the esophagus (acid reflux) and thus all the symptoms of GERD,
like pain and burning. Low stomach levels present many symptoms such as gas, bloating, burping, heavy stomach etc.

A stranger is a friend, who you have not met yet!
You may befriend me here on medhelp and it is my pleasure to
be of help. You are not alone!

Please post again or pm me.

Love & Light
Niko