Fibromyalgia Community
Hyperparathyroidism, not CFS/FM? I hope!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

I just got some blood test results. One stand-out result is that I have a very low Vitamin D level, despite taking a supplement for 6 months. I did some on-line research (naturally!) and found that Hyperparathyroidism has symptoms very similar to CFS/FM - and is CURABLE!

So I'm praying this is what I've got, and not Chronic Fatigue. Basically, it's a benign tumour of the parathyroid glands - which are responsible for regulating calcium in the body. If you have this condition, then you end up with too much calcium in the blood instead of in your bones. Vitamin D levels are low because the role of vitamin D is to help your body absorb calcium from your food. As there's so much calcium already circulating, your body jettisons all the vitamin D it can because it figures it's got all the calcium it needs as there's so much in your blood.

The list of symptoms is very, VERY similar to CFS/FM. Bone and muscle aches because of the loss of calcium. Headaches, fatigue, depression, feeling "off", mood changes and more.

I need to get my Calcium level checked - that's the key diagnostic indicator.
Too much Calcium in the blood = Hyperparathyroidism

Has anyone out there ended up with this diagnosis? It's fairly rare and surgery for it has been fraught with dangers in the past (huge scar, danger of vocal chords being cut - yikes),  but now there are some great surgeons who can do the op in under 20 minutes with a tiny scar.

Oh, I'm praying and praying and praying for this! To have something that's curable would be a dream come true.

Be well, people,

Suzie

Hello!
I too have looked into this especially with related low vitamin D, and through my search I actually met someone who has this condition. It is no walk in the park no matter how easy the surgery sounds- even with modern medicine. My friend actually still has FM even after the surgery. I hope this is not what is wrong with you, but I understand your want to be validated. Perhaps there is something else causing your symptoms if not Hyperparathyroidism? Keep us posted on your test results and good luck to you.  
Hey, thanks for responding.
Isn't it totally tragic that I'm praying to have this problem in the hope of being cured, despite potential complications? How awful for your friend to still have FM after treatment for hyperparathyroidism. Everything I've read says that patients feel wonderful after their surgery.

Like most people with this, I'm just desperate to be well. I'm nearly 35, with 2 kids and I've been having investigations into my symptoms for a year and a half. Along with the low D, I have high potassium, C-Reactive Protein, Alk Phosphate and GGT levels. And crazy hot flashes! My ob/gyn said it's not early menopause. Lord knows WHAT it is!

The docs are stumped. They're desperate to label it CFS and ship me out, but of course, they can only call it that when all their tests come back normal.

Don't they just hate not being able to pigeon-hole patients? Each time I go to my GP and I've read stuff on-line that I want to share, I feel like a hypochondriac. And she's a really great doc. The rheumatologist has given up with me - next stop, endocrinologist.

Be well,

Suzie
I would definitely see an endo. Some of those doctors though are overworked because of the supply and demand is outrageous (not enough of them are graduating), so you may not find one that is willing to do some investigative work for you. Most of them are too busy dealing with diabetes these days because of the obesity epidemic in our society today, so they are not as knowledgeable about other topics. You should check with the Thyroid forum and get their advice on questions to ask before your first appointment.
I thought you'd like an update. My calcium levels are fine. So darn - back to the drawing board. Now I'm reviewing my thyroid problem (hypo). I'm getting amazing help over at the Thyroid Forum. You guys who answer all our queries and give so much great advice and support to us complete strangers are amazing.

Be well.
Thanks for the update and I am sorry, but also happy for you that you don't have Hyperparathyroidism. The thyroid community is wonderful. I've utilized them for many questions I've had about my tests as well. I am glad we can all work together and help each other!
-Dusty