Fibromyalgia Expert Forum
I need help figuring out what I have

This expert forum is for questions and information regarding Fibromyalgia. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I need help figuring out what I have

hello, my name is Idris, I was a healthy, athletic, 19 year old male with no previous illnesses at all. 3 months ago I started having all these symptoms, and I still cannot figure out what is wrong. I've been to countless doctors, they all ignore me, they think I am making everything up. They've done countless tests, all have came back normal. No medicine or natural remedies have helped at all. These are what I have been feeling this last 3 months:

Headaches, Dizziness, Blurred Vision, Light-headedness, Fatigue, Muscle Cramps and Soreness, Muscle Spasms, All over (when i say all over, I mean every single inch of my body) severe (10 out of 10) body pain that is chronic, burning, stabbing, throbbing, and sharp at the same time, it shoots through-out my body constantly, and never goes away. It is so severe I cannot walk, I cannot sleep, I cannot eat. Fainting Spells, Labored Breathing, Heart Skips Beats, Severe Weight Loss,

These are the doctors I've been to, and the tests they have done:I have seen my primary care doctor and two other primary care doctors, a Hematologist, Physical Therapist, Urologist, Gastrointestinal doctor, Physiatrist, and many doctors the many times I have been in the emergency room, those doctors were general doctors, they had no specialties. The tests I've had just in these last couple of weeks were a CDC, 2 Cat Scans, a Sonogram, Colonoscopy, 3 urine tests, 5 blood tests. All I know is that every one came back normal on every count.

These symptoms have been going on 24 hours a day, for the past 3 months. I appreciate any help I can get, I need to get better soon so I can take care of my family. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Rahiin,
Welcome to the forum! Your symptoms are suggestive of  Fibromyalgia syndrome.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic debilitating condition resulting in widespread pain, stiffness, and tenderness of the muscles, tendons, and joints. Other features of  Fibromyalgia include difficulty sleeping or restless sleep, morning stiffness, fatigue, anxiety, depression, and sometimes disturbances in bowel function. The Fibromyalgia pain is almost always widespread, involving both sides of the body. Pain affects the muscles of neck, shoulders, buttocks, arms, upper back, and chest. Fibromyalgia is characterized by the presence of Tender points .These are tender areas of the body that may cause widespread pain and muscle spasm when touched. Tender points or pressure points are commonly found around the neck, shoulders, back of the head, elbows, knees, hips, and the sides of the chest. Fatigue is almost always caused by abnormal and unrefreshing sleep patterns commonly observed in patients with this condition.

There are no specific diagnostic tests for Fibromyalgia. Therefore, Fibromyalgia is diagnosed by physical examination and the history of the patient. Identification of  Tender points- at least 11 of the 18 classic tender points is the basis of diagnosis.
The symptoms of fibromyalgia are unique to each patient, therefore the treatment must be customized  for each patient.  Treatment plan consists of stress reduction, regular physical exercise and symptomatic treatment with the help of medications.
Medications include pain killers eg.Tramadol and muscle relaxants eg. cyclobenzaprine that help in reducing pain and improving sleep. Analgesic injections and/or corticosteroid injections into the trigger-point areas are also helpful in relieving pain.
Please consult a pain specialist and a rheumatologist for the management . Hope this helps you .
1 Comment
A related discussion, No Answer--Wondering if its Fibromyalgia was started.