Fibromyalgia Community
I think I have Fibromyalgia but my doctor won't take me seriously ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

I think I have Fibromyalgia but my doctor won't take me seriously

Hello everyone, I could really use some advice. I have been living with chronic pain for several years now. I worked full time for a while but had to cut back to part time because I was in pain so often and getting migraines from too much sitting and computer use. I can now barely sit and work for three hours without having pain shooting up my back and/or migraines occuring. I started looking into causes for my pain and fibromyalgia seemed to fit almost all of my symptoms.

I went to my doctor and discussed my symptoms.  She ran the tests and ruled out lupus, rheumatoid artharthritis, etc. She said she could prescribe Cimbalta but that it probably wouldn't be covered by my insurance and it wasn't.  I have asked her what I can do for the pain and her only suggestion is exercise and do yoga. I am in a PE fitness and stretching class but the running, pushups, etc have just added to the pain. My doctor just seems to be writing me off and I can't get the medicine that might actually help. Does anyone have any advice for me on what to do next? What treatments might be covered by lousy insurance? How can I get my doctor to take my pain seriously?  I want to get my life back and get back to work. I really appreciate your help.
Well it's a different scenario here in Australia. I had to see several local doctor's before getting a referral to a specialist, firstly two neurologists and a rheumatologist.

If it was me I would seek a second opinion. Ideally you will need a full range of blood tests, and likely more than one, MRI's, bone scans, and maybe more before Fibro can be diagnosed.