Fibromyalgia Community
INJECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

INJECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am wondering if anyone out there has taken or heard about these treatments? I am beginning to think I am a guinea pig. My rheumy has given me anywhere from 10-25 injections of marcaine .50. I have to get them once a month. They take him all of about 50 seconds to give me. It is either in my upper shoulder area or in the lower back depending on where I hurt the most at that time. I told him that the disability company wanted to know how long I have to get the shots as I feel they are not doing anything for me. His response was I will give them to you for two more treatments & if they don't work we will have to start giving you nerve block injections which are about 3x deeper than the marcaine injections. They already hurt like hell I can't imagine getting them 3x deeper. Has anyone out there heard of these treatments & have had them themselves.
Thanking you in advance for any response.
My doctor suggested it to me but since I have needle phobia and would probably hit him, I wouldn't take them.  I have heard of people taking them and nobody that I have read about or talked to has had any luck with them.  I also hear they are not too good for you either.  I didn't think they could give you that many.  
With I could offer more info but that's all I have.
Several years ago my doctor wanted to do these injections everytime I had a visit. I guess they help with the muscle pain but I was never comfortable with it. Honestly I wondered how necessary they were, I felt like the pushed them on me and didn't really want to discuss anything before injecting me. I've since moved to another state and seen 2 other Rheumatologist who haven't tried or offered this treatment. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they are trying to help you or trying to make another $. I think the injections are fairly common, just not sure how effective they are.
I have had no relief. First two months I was getting them once a week. Then when I went off of work I have been getting them once a month as I have to travel 2 hours each way to get them & my husband has to take the day off to take me. Every where I read about them it says they take about 30 minutes at the doc office not 50 sec. And when I go to see about nerve block injections it says an anethesiologist gives them not a rheumy. I am going to see if I can get any answers for the Rheumatology Association. I will keep you posted.
Funny, my doc. hasn't tried to get me to have them since I lost my insurance.  When I first started going to him, he ordered test after test.  I understood he was trying to find out what was wrong but I often wondered if he was just doing it to make a buck for himself.  Since I haven't had insurance I haven't had ANY lab work. When I go on the 21st, I am going to get him to do a lab work up since its been so long, I will just have to pay what I can when I can.  
If the injections are not working, I would quit taking them.
The big PROBLEM is if I refuse any kind of treatment I can be cut off of my disability. Which means I would have to file bankruptcy, which I do not want to do.