Fibromyalgia Community
Is anyone taking Lyrica for pain..and what is the dose please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Im taking Lyrica for neuropathy feet pain my Dr says i can only take 300mg ...anything stronger is for people with shingles...is anyone out there take 300mg or higher?  thanks slickaroo
I think I am taking 150mg a day. I have heard people taking more, I sure don't want to!  I am just starting to get used to it. Only on week 3.  How long have you taken it?
Hello
   I have been on Lyrica for a little over a month now...was started out on low dose 75mg and moved up every 2 weeks ..on 300 mg now...it made me dizzy at first ...not anymore...is helping my foot pain now...what are you taking if for ? My Dr told me on Nov 21 i was a Diabetic ...that was nice news ..the reason i went to Dr was my feet had been hurting me for like a year ...got so bad had to go to Dr to see what was up...he had me take a sugar fasting and sure enought i was diabetic...Merry christmas to me....Dr started me on lyrica ..at first it wasnt helping at low dose...is now at 300mg....hope you had nice christmas and new year..........................Slickaroo
I have been on 450mg for the past few weeks.  At first when I started it I was very dizzy and was losing my balance, so I dropped back down to 300mg.  BOY was that stupid.  My pain level went from a 6 back to a 10 immediately, so I have gone back to 450mg.  I am now taking 150mg 3x a day and it is really doing the trick.

So yes you can go higher that 300mg.  It just depend on the dr.

Good Luck
If its ok to know...what are you taking the Lyrica for....I take it for Neuropathy of the feet ...My Dr says anything over 300mg ...they give to people with shingles....maybe i need to see a Endor Dr...So far the 300mg are working...and i only take it after supper ...thats when my feet bother me the most..i use to get dizzy but not any more...I am the kinda of person that needs the higher dose of anything i take ...I have always been that way....thanks for the infor Barb...........Slickaroo
i have a few bottles of it but the neurologist gave to me to try then i went to my regular appointment with my rhemy the  next day and he said no because i am allergic to neurotin and it is just a stronger dose  wish it worked for everyone but  i doesn't  my lose.  happy new year   at lease the disorder is getting recogniion now  
darlyn
This month plus, forget how long I have been taking Lyrica has been tough. My pain is gone!  But I am almost unfunctionsl. I can hardly get up and take a shower. This is NOT good.  The pain is gone, but how can I live like this?  Hoping the sx go away...
We started the Lyrica on the same day, the 12th of December, remember?  Started with one pill, then two and worked up to three - two at night and one in the morning.  I'm functioning fairly well.  I do have some dizziness, a balance problem and a few other side effects.  What I want to know is if there is anyone out there on Lyrica that is having a urinary/kidney problem?  My lower back have really hurt now for a few days and nothing is helping. It hurts to walk.  I try to drink a lot of water daily as I don't drink soda.  It has been increasingly difficult to urinate.  The urge is there but I have to push on the bladder to achieve any results - sounds fun-huh? Somewhere I read that Lyrica does this to some people.  I would appreciate someone letting me know what to do.  Thanks.  Hang in there Linda.  J
I remember now. Not great with dates. Geez that was less than a month ago!  I have problems with urinating, having to push the bladder, but no back pain.  Maybe after breaking your toes, walking funny could cause your back to hurt.  Check it out.  I just made several Dr. appts. for labs I don't like.  Sorry you are hurting.  Ice on the low back helps me when it hurts.  

lInda

I'm on 450 mg a day for nerve pain, they thought i had MS but i have fibro and bulging disks in my narrowing my spinal colum.

I know the legal amount is 600mg a day but at that level the side effects are more, i know i would not want to go higher then i am and have put on alot of weight with it.

Samantha
I have been taking Lyrica 150 mg 3x a day for over a month with no pain relief. I just saw a new neurologist who told me to wean off of it and that I obviously don't have fibromyalgia. I have had moderate to severe pain in my limbs, feet/hands, neck, etc. plus trouble with concentration/memory for over 2 months. I have seen 6 doctors! If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know where to go from here.
My dr. told me some people are immune to some drugs. Perhaps you are one.  Perhaps try another drug?  
I have been on Lyrica for almost 2yrs now and I am at a dose of 900mg a day which I take at night before going to bed.I started at a dose of 300mg a day and they have worked my dosage up slowly.I take it for both neuropathy and fibromyalgia.At first taking it helped me sometimes to be able to get some sleep but not anymore.My doctor has said that he can increase my dose up to around 2,500mg a day.I just hope that it doesn't get to that point.Hope this helps.Good luck.
I can hardly manage 150mg.   I was feeling much less pain, but it is back again. Hurting all over.  I like the slow approach, b/c my energy and brain fog are awful.  Sure hope this is just a bump in the road and tomorrow will be better. I really like the pain gone with the Lyrica.  
I was on Lyrica at 150 mg a day. Didn't do much for me except make me gain weight. I'm on Cymbalta and it works better for me.
Geez,  I am down to a size 2 and it is big for me!  I used to be a 10.  I just can't eat, no appeitie and am losing weight big time.  How do you eat when you are in pain?  I drink Ensure and usually get something for dinner. Haven't cooked for awhile, due to the fatigue.  YUCK YUCK YUCK,  that's all I have to say
thanks for the infor ..i will report it to my Dr..........Slickaroo..happy new year....hope its a better one for you all
I sure hope it is a better year, the last one almost killed me!  Speaking of Lyrica,  do people get used to it and have to increase the dose?  My pain this morning was awful.  I can hardly function now, so to go up...YUCK. I have fallen and have a bruised tailbone and a large bruise on my shoulder. Sometimes I am dizzy while walking and bumped into a chair. Sometimes I can't drive either.  I still ask myself, "how the hell am I going to go to school next week?"
i was dx diabetic over a year ago and tested for neuropathy and ok the pain ect all from fms. i had mri and all the great tests a year ago and yesterday and 2nd round of mri's. i have alot of jerking and shakes but you know dr took me off lryica 5 days ago and that has calmed down. he wants to see what mri says.  but was taking 150 at night and 75 morning and it did make difference been on it since june. helped with burning, stabbing pains and tingles in legs and hands. i just wish someone would find a fix and quit with just masking pain ect i do not like this person i have become. i have been off work since oct 12 week medical leave and dont see myself going back. i have a hard time functioning, pain, memory and i am frustrated still new to me! i am also knew to this forum so i appreciate any help! thanks
I hear you.  The memory, pain and not able to function is the worst.  I forget where the key are on the computer!  

Yuck....

Hope we find something to help us.
linda
hi i am suppose to start taking lyrica for my sciatic nerve and was wondering has anyone gained weight from it?thanks
I'm taking 225 mg., in three divided doses.  I had been taking neurontin, which is chemically related somehow.  My own experience is that lyrica is a time-released neurontin (putting it simply, perhaps inaccurately)  Neurontin was terrible for rapid depletion and acceleration of pain;  lyrica is more stable over time to me.  More than that, it is the only med, right now, that the FDA "approves" of.  (Important in SSDI struggle, methinks)  

I gained 20 pounds in 2 1/2 months and I hate it.  I am hoping that after I am on it awhile, I can lose some of it.  I was hungry for carbs all the time.

Hope this helps a little
I am really concerned that your doctor is confusing the maximum dosage for lyrica with the maximum dosage for gabapentin(neurontin).  Consistently, lyrica is not recommended in doses over 600 mg.  Gabapentin on the other hand can be OK at four-figure amounts.  I was taking 2400 mg. before switching to lyrica.  Please check and rule this out.  I would just wonder how terrible it may (or may not) be to take 4 times the recommended dosage.  I'd have him show me where 2500 mg. of lyrica is safe.  Just my $.02
I was told I have fybromyalgia this past October. I have been tired and in paind for 2 years and finally my doctor said you have fibromyalgia! I left with my perscription of Lyrica and lots of side effects ahead. I'm currently taking 300 mg and was told this past week to eventually be on 600 mg. I find that difficut, because right now, I'm doning good showing up for work and then come home and sleep for the rest of the night! I'm beginning to get the pain back and I'm having a difficult time with my insurance company approving each time I refill the Lyrica...Too much and I am tired and in pain!
Sorry to hear the lyrica is not work so good for you..and insurance companys are a pain in the butt....Im on 300mg...its funny some days it works well and other day not so well...I just hope it keeps on working some for me..I feel very sorry for the people i chat with on this forum..everyone is in so much pain ..and having a hard time finding releaf...I hope this year is better you everyone....Everyone is in my prays...thank you for your info.........................Judy
I started taking the Lyrica on Dec.12th or 13th.  I started slow and worked up to 150mg a day.  I gained 7lbs. in one week.  I have a heart condition so I started weaning myself off of it on my drs advice.  My legs looked like water balloons with a sock indentation.  My hands were so swollen I couldn't write.  I had all of the bad side effects.   My dr. put me on neurontin last Friday and I'm hoping for no side effects.  None so far, but it seems like it takes a lot longer to kick in for pain relief.  The pain was gone with the Lyrica but the side effects were not worth it.  Hope all of you on the Lyrica have better luck then I did.
Im sorry you had all the side effects from Lyrica..I hope the new meds work well for you...so far i have no bad side effects for Lyrica..just a little dizzy now and then...nothing big..wish you luck.........Slickaroo
Thank you for the "good luck" wish.  I hope the neurontin works, too, after I got home from work last night, both of my legs were swollen again.  I got put back on my water pill full time so I hope that it helps with the fluid retention, if that's why they are swollen.  The neurontin is taking it time working,  very slow, not like the quick acting Lyrica.  My hands hurt a lot yesterday.  I used a remedy that I use for a headache but never thought of for my hands or any other body as far as that goes.  I rubbed my hands with Aspercreme then wrap them in hot moist towels that I heat in the microwave.  It works.  Not for a long period of time, but for a quick fix it's great.  My boss didn't like it that I was doing it on his time, he said if I hurt that bad I should go home.  Ahhh....another compassionate soul.  Jerk!  Hope you are doing well.........JLC
hi.it seems like the majority of people on lyrica gained weight.what is in it that causes weight gain.ive worked very hard to lose 42 pounds ths year and now im on 100mg of lyrica for my sciaitic nerve.ive only taken in for 2 days but im extremely tired and weak.is weight gain the first side affect and what can i do so i dont gain.thanks for any info.
Hi, EVERYONE I am ashley I am 36 and have fibromyalgia,lupus,raynauds,cf, and sjogrens it all kind of came as a package deal, like everyone else I have suffered chronic pain everywhere for so long I forget what it was like to be pain free!!!! I just started the lyrica for the second time and hope I can stand the side effects. I am on perm.disability so thank God I'm not teaching any more I can,t even remember where I'm at half the time FOGGY. Of course I do take loratab, soma, and klonopin too. Has any body out there had to come off the lyrica with better results 2nd time? well Ican understand everyones positions posted especially those with FRUSTATION. Good Luck everyone.
YES!!!!!! I hate that about this drug . I had just gotten back down to 110 and I'm going ...up..up...up anyes more up. I try to exercise alot but when i'm having a bad flare its really hard. Well I just cant do it . ESp. if my fibro and lupus or others kick in together.  But yes if you can exercise do it will help with the weight gain.
I have had chronic pain now for over 10 years,and have had No! relief at all..I am on 200m.g.of Lyrica,(3) times aday, not counting all the other meds. that I am on! I have so many things wrong with me,they could write a medical book just with whats wrong with me along! But even with all the meds.I take I am still in chronic pain 24/7..

Go to my profile, read a few posts and Journal, they are open to all.

I came to this site to share with others.

If you respond, I will listen.

pattir727

i have ben on lyrica for about ( 2 ) weeks for  perifail nuropahy and it has done nothing  yet except made me very tired and sleepy all day. 150 mg./ does this drug affect every one this way and how long  

muffin
Hey I started taking Lyrica for my Fibro about 2 weeks ago and I did notice I was urinating alot more!! Then yesterday I started having a burning  feeling when I urinte!! It really freaked me out until I saw where other Lyrica users were having the same problems~~

Lynne
I've been taking 120mg 3x a day for 4 weeks and last week was diagnosed with lymphoderma (swellinf of my left foot altho I have a vey rare agressive lymphoma  cancer in my right leg.I just heard the commercial for fybromyalgia using Lyrica and that it can cause swelling in feet and ankles. I'm sort of hoping this new diagnosis is only a second effect from Lyrica and NOT a new affliction..Can anyone maybe help on this ?
wow! that's a lot. I thought the level dose was 600 mg. Maybe you should see another Dr for a second opinion. I would worry about side effects
I currently take lyrica 225 mg for cervical radiculopathy. I had it increase to 300mg per day it worked like a charm but i had side effects. Difficulty concentration, slurred speech, unsteadiness on my feet, extremely tired but the pain relief was 100%. I seen my neurosurgeon about the side effects and i let him know i read about lyrica side effects. I felt like my hands were dropping alot.  my Dr decide to reduce the medication back down to 225mg. The neck pain and nerve pain is back. I had to go on temporary disability due to the chronic pain and discomfort. I see a pain management Dr, Physical therapist, neurosurgeon, and my primary care Dr. It's been two years almost since my car accident. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm only 40 yrs old and can't enjoy life.
Ive had 3 brain surgerys due from an AVM in the motor skill area. I have alot of nerve pain in the feet. I was presently taking 450 mg. of Lyrica daily. My body langauge would tell me when it was time for a dosage with out even having to look at the clock.  After being on it for 2 years it only takes the edge off and I fing it hard to get through my day. Ive been increased to max. 600mg. I have found stretching and warmer temps. seem to help some. Good luck princess. miracle 07