Fibromyalgia Community
Is it in my head?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Is it in my head?

I feel like an intruder because I don't think I have fibro/CFS but I do have constant fatigue and I don't know what to do about it.  As long as I can remember, I have been an extremely tired person.  I am so envious of people who can go out and run or ride their bike.  I do this on occasion, but most of the time my eyelids are too heavy to get off the couch.  I am not overweight, do not have diabetes, or any other medical condition that I know of (accept hypoglycemia, which I have under control and has not been bad at all for the last 5 years).  I do not have the aches/pain associated with fibro or CFS.

I went to my doctor in January this year and told her my story.  She ran tests which all came back negative, everything normal.  She attributed my exhaustion to the fact that I was depressed because my husband was deployed.  He has been home now for 3 months.  No change.  Not to mention the fact that I told her I've had this since I was probably 12...I eat a relatively healthy diet.  I try to limit my sugar/caffeine/fat/non-natural ingredients.  I drink lots of water.  And I get 8-9 hours of sleep every night.

It is so frustrating to be tired all the time.  I can sleep for 10 or 11 hours on the weekend and then take a 2 hour nap easily.  I can sleep at any time.  I can count the number of times I have had trouble sleeping on my fingers.  Thank God I moved 8 miles away from my work, because I used to live 40 miles away and I would nod off every day on the way to work and again on the way home.  It was actually very, very scary.  I love sleeping, but I want some energy!

Is there something internally wrong with me?  Or are all my systems normal and I need to just learn to live with it?  Is there any hope?  Thank you to anyone who can offer some insight for me.

Well I can tell you that CFS is more than "chronic fatigue". People with CFS normally have muscle aches, frequent infections, severe headaches, unrefreshing sleep, swollen lymph nodes and many other symptoms on and off. If they push themselves too hard one day, then they spend the next day in bed.

Do you have allergies or chemical sensitivities ? If so, then I would recommend further testing and treatment. Also... do you snore while you sleep ? If you do, then you may want to ask your physician if he/she could rule out sleep apnea. Your physician should also check your thyroid.

If you aren't happy, then I would consider trying medication for depression and seeing if that helps.

Best,

PlateletGal
I agree with the sleep apnea test.  CFS and Fibro do come with lots of pain among other things.  If you are not sleeping well at night then you never feel refreshed.  Do you feel like you've gotten a good nights sleep each morning?  Maybe you are vitamin deficient?  You know, before I got Lupus and Fibro I used to work out quite a bit.  There were times when I would slack off maybe because of work or soemthign else going on and then it was always so hard to get back into it.  I remember the first 15 minutes of spin class feeling like I wanted to stop but once I pressed on past that big hill I was blowing and going.  Maybe you have to push yourself and see if your energy will kick in.  I would make sure nothing is wrong with your heart or anything before doing that of course and it sounds like you have had tests done.  If you can't conquer it will vitamins and eating right and pushing yourself to workout then I would consider antidepressants but only as a last resort.  And be sure and ask your doctor how hard they are to get off of before you start taking any.  Good Luck and God Bless.
Joni
OH YEAH, get a sleep apnea test done.  What you describe was me 6 years ago.  I worked just 4 miles from home and sometimes did not remember part of the trip home.  My doc said that is sleeping at the wheel.  She was the head of one of the sleep study clinics here.  Also look into narcolospy (sp?).  Very dangerous for you and others to keep on driving or doing machine work etc.  Lack of sleep will also cause memory problems, depression, mood swings, concentration problems, etc...  Get help now.  Google your symptoms and bring the results to the doctor-if the doc doesn't do anything go to the ER or get a specialist/new doc.   Turn the uncaring doc into the doctor association and your insurance plan so they will check into the problem and withhold payment for the visit.  Money speaks louder than words in this world (unfortunetly).  It takes time to get used to a C-Pap for sleep apnea but boy the good night sleep makes you a new person (if that is the problem) . I had it and didn't know that I didn't go thru the stages of sleep and that I was awake 100times per hour and stopped breathing all those times too.  Get Help Please