Fibromyalgia Community
Is painful, cold skin a symptom of Fibro?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

I was diagnosed with Fibro years ago and have lived with on and off flairs, but now I have developed a condition that is extremely painful, and am not sure if it is Fibro or not.  The skin on my arms, particularly the right arm and shoulder, feels cold and then I develop pain that is similar to a toothache.  I have also had this happen to my legs.  Being in a room or car with the air conditioning turned on is horrible.  Lately, even a warm breeze will activate the pain.  Does this sound like Fibro, or could it be another condition?  Would appreciate help with this.  My doctor doesn't believe in Fibro, so I want to ask him to refer me to a specialist.  What type of specialist should I see?  Thanks for any help.
Try to see if he'll send you to a rheumatologist. This is the type of doctor that you need to see. Yes, cold sensitivity is a symptom of fibromyalgia. I personally cannot stand to have ice packs put on me to reduce swelling or go into a pool below like 90% and I cannot do anything in the winter time with my kids either. I feel much better using heated pads or heated massagers. I love being in a heated tub with the whirlpool jets because although it hurts at the time to have the jets on your sore muscles but eventually it feels better. But everyone is different and has different tolerances. All you can do is trial and error to find out what you can handle and like compared to what you can't handle and dislike. Once you see a rheumatologist, then there may be others doctors that can help you but I unfortunately haven't made it that far. I hope this helps you out. good luck.
Hi..u may have another issue going on called Raynauds...that is causing pain with the cold.
I have Ehlers-danlos and it causes similar issues. It is best to be checked to be sure it is just the fibro or something in addition.

good luck
"selma"
I also have fibro and as supermom said, a rheumatologist is the specialist you need to see. I can relate to what you are saying about the cold spots. I get them at different times, as I write this my midsection is in pain. When I felt of it, it is extremely cold and painful as is my face at this moment. I wrap myself up in an electric throw, which really helps. The problem with that is when warm weather hits...the  heat from the throw feels so good, but I end up sweating because I'm hot at the same time. Fibro is no party, that's for sure. Like supermom said, it is a trial and error thing. My rheumatologist prescribed me Neurontin, which does help some. He tried me on Lyrica and I was in left field. I told him I was spacy as it was, I didn't need anything to help it along.  :-). I wish you the best of luck. I hope you find someone that can help you.