Fibromyalgia Community
Leg and ankle aches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Leg and ankle aches

This is a question to those of you with CFS.  I have been having aches in my ankles and legs, hard to describe but an all over aching and I have to move them around to make it feel better. My cardio doc thought it might be the Lipitor and it did get better off the Lipitor but hasn't gone away.  I do notice it during the day but more at night when I am lying in bed. I just wonder if this is a symptom of CFS? Do others have it? I struggle with low potassium (I take supplements), I thought it might have to do with that too. I don't have Fibro, at least I am pretty sure that I don't.  Any ideas? Thank you!
Colleen
I have low potassium too and take supplements. Hmmm...you could have restless leg syndrome. Has anyone evaluated you for that? Or it could be the Lipitor...or maybe even sciatica. I can't remember, did you ever have an MRI of your lower back? That would reveal any abnormalities in your spine. Abnormalities can cause pain in your legs- even into your feet- especially if you have any nerve issues.
Hey Colleen, you might also want to get your thyroid checked out.  Low thyroid can cause similar issues too.  Hope you get some answers and relief soon.
Dusty,
I have not been evaluated for restless legs syndrome. I am not even sure who to see about that, I guess my primary. No, I have not had an MRI of my lower back but I do have sciatica on my left side, for years I have had that and it flares up but this is different I believe. It could be the Lipitor is taking longer to leave my body. I don't know. I see my cardio in April and have to go on something else, like Crestor, so will see what happens there. I also had a test for peripheral artery disease this past Friday but don't know the results yet.
and Trudie, I do have low thyroid and take medication for that, although I don't see any improvement from the medication in terms of symptoms. As you know, I have other issues going on too, so have to do a process of elimination I guess.
Thank you both for answering and giving me ideas to think about!
Colleen
Hi Colleen,
That is so weird, ' cause I've been having sore ankles as well. I've been having aching hips and other different joints, but its the ankles I notice the most, but mine is when I wake up and start moving. Thought it might be something lacking after losing hormones, and this tiredness is still so amazing. One day last week, I was physically so tired when my alarm went off to get my daugher to school, that I just couldn't do it, no matter how much self talk I tried, and I had to go back to sleep. Hence, she had a day off, and I woke up at 10.30am. I have always thought I have CFS, but in Australia, and my experience with talking to drs, you are made to feel lazy, and just unable to cope. If I find out anything about the ankle thing I'll let you know, so the journey continues.

wannasmile63 and lvfrogs, you've both been through recent surgeries.  Be aware that the stress of that can trigger things like fibromyalgia and auto-immune issues.  Don't assume it is something else.  Be sure to have it checked out.
What tests do I ask for. I know this tiredness is NOT normal, or just because I'm not working. I have tried so hard to push through it, or plan things to keep busy, but the only thing I can do for relief is sleep.
Explain ALL of your symptoms.  You need a complete blood work up testing your iron, platelets, CBC, sed rate, RF, lupus panel (includes ANA and other related tests), thyroid function, vitamin D levels, etc.
Excellent answer Trudie!!! I had some things that showed up low on my blood work when I left the hospital so I plan on asking her today at my checkup.  I have had the ANA and sed rate, all that is normal for me, except the thyroid and of course, you know I have CFS.  But that was a great suggestion for wannasmile63!
I think you got some great answers here. I noticed you mentioned you have not had an MRI of your lower back and you do have sciatica. With your leg symptoms, I would recommend having an MRI along with your blood tests. I am a little concerned that you might have a bulging disc that's pinching something at L-5 S1 in your lumbar spine. I could be wrong, but if you have good insurance you might as well be safe. I am always very precautions about those types of things. Just my thoughts. Take care of yourself.
-Dusty
Hi Dusty,
No, I have never had an MRI and never thought about it to be honest. My sciatica acts up every once in a while and I usually just deal with it! I will ask my doctor about that and how do you know so much about the spine, if you don't mind me asking...since you actually gave me a number to ask about?   Thank you!

Colleen